DIY: JDM side blinker
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on DIY: JDM side blinker within the Exterior and Appearance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Spent about 2 hours installing JDM side blinkers today. This intall was not as bad as I thought. You just ...

DIY: JDM side blinker

Spent about 2 hours installing JDM side blinkers today. This intall was not as bad as I thought. You just need to be brave enough to put a hole in a perfectly nice fender.

Tools/parts you need:

- Drill bits in many different sizes (up to 1/4") to gradually make hole bigger.
    - Dibbler ($4 from Radio Shack) which is used to cut away fender metal.
    - Template: I downloaded from here:
    http://www.speerschong.com/ron/sti/s...r-template.pdf

- Butt connectors and speaker wires from Radio Shack.
    - Electrical tape
    - Windshield wiper blade insert or metal hanger

Here are the pictures.
    Here are some pictures from today's install. Hardest thing was finding a place that sells nibbler as many places did not even know what nibbler was (Lowe's, Auto zone, Sears, etc).

I ordered a set of JDM blinkers from suby dude for around $80 shipped. These come with replaceable bulbs.

Carefully align template on the fender and use masking tape to secure it. Measure 3x before you start drilling.

Starting with the smallest drill bit you have, carefully increase the size of hole until you reach 1/4" drill bit.

Time to cut fenders using nibbler

Use wrench to flatten end of butt connector. I did not have to use soldering gun, which saved time and effort.
    Last edited by WRXreX; 03-03-2007 at 04:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's time to use a long wire to run wires from side blinker to OEM blinker. Splice OEM wires and make good connections. Soldering may help here although it's optional.

I used OEM touch up paint to prevent rust from forming on cut surface.
    Last edited by WRXreX; 03-03-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Great job!

2 questions:

1. did you use a template to cut into your fender & what did you use to cut through the fender?

2. did you remove the wheels and fender liners when doing this?

Thanks!

you use template and I did not have to remove wheel/fender liner.

Great write up, thanks for the quick response! I have have to get these done at some point! BTW, where did you get the amber blinkers from? Also did you seal them with anything onto your fender, I realize there are clips, but was curious about water proofing!

I got them from subydude for $80 shipped. Not cheap by any means but it's a great mod IMO. No sealant used at all. Even side turn signals don't have sealant.

Looks good, and nice write up...
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

Any idea if these will fit on an 06 WRX? Are the fender contours the same? I think I am going to order a set up! They look great.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.