DIY 04-05 to 06 tail light swap
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on DIY 04-05 to 06 tail light swap within the Exterior and Appearance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Ok first off this is so easy as to barely merit a tutorial, but seeing as how I'm bored... First ...

DIY 04-05 to 06 tail light swap

Ok first off this is so easy as to barely merit a tutorial, but seeing as how I'm bored...

First things first you need the parts to do the swap, namely the desired year tail lights, I got mine off of a buddies 04. Next you need a flat head screwdriver, or some thing to pry the carpet liner clips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_00010.jpg  
    Infantry leads the way

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok now that you got those clips off you have some nuts to get off, they are probably 10mm but I used needle nose pliers, any way on the 06 model mine anyway had a black plastic clipc hiding one of the nuts on the passenger side it's the furthest nut from you.

by the way I forgot to circle them but there's a plastic clip holding the tail lamp assembly in it's flat, if you look on the passenger side it's white and on the drivers side it's black be careful cause they seem kind of fragile, so be firm but gentle, push them out and back as you gently pull on the tail lamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_00011.jpg   IMAGE_00012.jpg  
    Infantry leads the way

you will also need to disconnect this wiring harness it's a direct swap between model years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_00013.jpg  
    Infantry leads the way

put everything back on in reverse order and you're done.

becareful there's a foamish thing between the metal and the tail lamps don't rip that and make sure to line all the bolts and plastic bits that were poking thru before

here's the before and after, I did this while doing my laundry at the laundromat, took me 5 mins to remove mine and 15 mins to wait on dude to remove his. have fun the after shot kind of stinks cause its dark and I like my car that dirty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_00014.jpg   IMAGE_00015.jpg  
    Infantry leads the way

is it the same with swaping for 2007 tail light into 2005

yeah it should be, the only ones that are different is the 02-03 cause they are shaped different.
    Infantry leads the way

I Support ClubWRX
    I know this is super super old and I am necro'ing it but, I have a question. I know the swap is a direct fit and the harness just plugs in. My question is about the placement of the lights. On the 06-07 lights the blinker is on the bottom inside circle part and on the 04-05 the blinker is on the top. When swapping the lights how is this corrected? Do the wires reach the correct holes?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    The bulbs are in different place but the harness will work no problem. I've had 03, 04, 06 and 07 tails on my car and they harness for 04 will work with 04-07 with a little bulb moving
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool, so the wires will reach without me having to splice in extra?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    definitely
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.