Review: Sylvania Silverstar High Performance Light Bulbs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Review: Sylvania Silverstar High Performance Light Bulbs within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Earlier this month I cleared my headlights (as in deleting the orangeness of the turn signal). As you should know, ...

Peachypumpkincheeks

Review: Sylvania Silverstar High Performance Light Bulbs

Earlier this month I cleared my headlights (as in deleting the orangeness of the turn signal). As you should know, having a turn signal that flashes anything other than orange/amber is illegal is most, if not all states. I chose to fix this by purchasing some Sylvania Silverstar High Performance light bulbs that were recommended on ClubWRX. They claim to appear silvery in color, but flash amber.

I ordered mine from Autobarn.com on Tuesday, Aug. 15. They were shipped out Aug. 17, and I received them this evening, Monday, Aug. 21. They cost approximately $9.95 for the pair plus shipping. (*Sidenote: apparently these are sold at Advance Auto Parts as well).

First thoughts:
    The listing for the bulbs was kind of misleading. They claim to be silvery/blue in appearance when off, and it's too hard to tell in the advertised picture, but in person they look more like the color of an oil spill on the outside.

Second thoughts:
    Because my WRX is blue, it brings out the blueness the most in the bulbs. I think it compliments my WRX nicely. They probably would stand out more if on a silver or white WRX, and probably appear darker on a black one.

Daylight was fading fast, so I hurridly snapped a few pics! And now for your viewing pleasure...

1. The Sylvania Silverstar bulbs:

2. After installing the first one:

3. Another crappy shot:

4. The work great! Bonus: they're now legal!

5. I did it myself! (kinda)

6. Not as noticeable as those loud orange signals they used to be.

Overall: I think they may work on some colors, but not all (unless you're going for a blueish/purplish headlight look, or if your lights are smoked). They're definitely a cheap, workable alternative to the $40 only-available-in-Europe silver bulbs, and definitely a better alternative to getting ticketed. But check them out at a local auto parts store to save the shipping costs (and long wait for delivery!) Autobarn.com had okay service, but I think the delivery could have been a lot faster.

Grade: B
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    nice manicure ...

...erm yeah the lights look great !
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Nice.
    -Bruce

wow ... Heather, you are hot.... err ... I meant you r car is hot.

o BTW WRB bugeyes rules!
    O2 WRBlue

(( MODs + Pics ))

Hey Heather, thanks a lot for the great pics and write-up. When I clear my headlights, I might go ahead and buy those silverstars, but give them a light dusting with silver spraypaint. If you don't like the blue look of those bulbs, you should also give that a shot. It probably won't make them completely silver, but it should take a bit of the blue out. Although, I do like how the WRB was reflected... much better than the oil slick color they are originally.

Congrats on those cool, clean, and now-legal headlights!
    03 wrb WRX
    Power- Cobb Stage 2 w/ TXS stealthback, 06 axleback, and 07 catless uppipe
    Handling- Eibach Springs, Perrin Rear Sway Bar, Perrin Rear Sway Mounts, Perrin Rear Endlinks, STi strut bars
    Cosmetics- cf wing risers, pink "i" badge, yellow fogs, STI CF side markers, tints, tail lights,

I am running silverstars too, the high beams benefit, but it seems like the low beams are just a different color. I like them though.

I Support ClubWRX
    That turned out great, Heather!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Looks good, kid. Now, did you just replace the turn signal bulbs, or the highs/lows as well?
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by BONES1672
    Hey Heather, thanks a lot for the great pics and write-up. When I clear my headlights, I might go ahead and buy those silverstars, but give them a light dusting with silver spraypaint. If you don't like the blue look of those bulbs, you should also give that a shot. It probably won't make them completely silver, but it should take a bit of the blue out.
    I was definitely considering the silver paint when the bulbs first arrived, but then decided I liked the blue with my wrb. But if I paint my car pink, I'll definitely be coating them in silver. For a cheaper option, you can just buy some amber bulbs and coat them in silver...well I guess the Silverstars are pretty cheap enough anyway. If you end up doing the silver paint, let us know how that goes!

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcupid
    Looks good, kid. Now, did you just replace the turn signal bulbs, or the highs/lows as well?
    Just the turn signal bulbs. In the bugeyes, the highs/lows are already clear.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Cleared like that looks good. On my car i went with the eyelids and just left a little slit of amber. I have morettes now,I'll be re-installing those soon,had a cracked lens.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

That looks great Heather! I like the look of them on your WRB.

I landed up buying the PIAA bulbs for my turn signals but they were like 45$ The PIAA's look exactly like yours. Next time i'll go out and find those silvanias

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

only those brands say that but look diffr . like these more look below
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1156-...QQcmdZViewItem

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by C89ZX7R
    only those brands say that but look diffr . like these more look below
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1156-...QQcmdZViewItem
    I like those alot! Someone should get a pair and let me know how it goes.

The only problem with the Euro brands though is that the little nubs don't match up correctly to our OEM headlight sockets so you have to sand one of the nubs off. This is what I read on ClubWRX, so further validation may be necessary.
    Last edited by Speedette; 08-22-2006 at 09:01 AM.

what number bulbs do you need ? APC also makes them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.