super-loud air horn - totally hidden and out of the way
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on super-loud air horn - totally hidden and out of the way within the Exterior and Appearance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Well kids, here we are again. Its spring, and there's something in the air that gets me all excited to ...

super-loud air horn - totally hidden and out of the way

Well kids, here we are again. Its spring, and there's something in the air that gets me all excited to do some mods.

I bought this thing a while ago,but I glanced around the engine compartment and couldn't find a mounting location for it that I was 100% happy with...especially since I actually READ the instructions and they state that the horn should be mounted with the trumpets facing DOWN....otherwise water can't drain out of them.

I've seen someone mount them sideways in the bumper, so that the license plate covers most of the compressor and the horns stick out, but I wasn't happy with that either since all kinds of road junk and bugs would just get lodged in there...so I put it away for a while.

This morning, I woke up, and not only did I have morning wood, but I also had a great idea where to put horn....so here's the write-up.

First of all, if you want this horn, its from Griot's garage. It sounds just like a Ferarri horn, and is really really really really loud...139dB is a bit louder than a jet airplane I believe. People WILL hear you even if they're in one of those huge SUVs with 20" subwoofers blasting. Its $39....totally worth it.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77839

before you start you should make a ground wire for your horn. All you need is a piece of decent-gauge wire, a crimp-on battery terminal and a crimp-on female spade connector. I soldered mine for extra style points, but I'm sure crimping works just fine. It will look something like this:

next, we attack the car! so where is this brilliant location? right behind the driver's fog light! I know I know...you guys with FMIC's are probably saying "oh great, that doesn't really help me", but you're wrong! you can also mount this (although with a bit more difficulty) on the driver's side fender...in the same place the silencer is on the other side.

so...here's the procedure:

1) disconnect and remove the stock horns. The one on the center support comes off pretty easy, but the bracket near the headlight was a bit more of a pain....rather than removing the headlight and all kinds of trim to get to it, I just unscrewed the horn from the bracket, and left the bracket..its not really in the way. The big bolt is 12mm and little bolt on the back of the horn is 10mm

2) tuck the wire from the center horn under the bumper trim so its out of the way and not flapping around.

3) get under the car. Remove the plastic clips holding the brake duct, and take it off.

4) remove the 2 big clips that hold down the lower apron and pull the plasic back to gain access to the area behind the fog light. In the second picture you can see the hole in the metal that we will use to hang the horn on.

5) the hole is not quite big enough for the bolt that came with the horn. Just drill it out to the right size.

6) get back up. follow the second horn wire to where it starts (large bundle of wires in front of the battery, and pull the wire so you have the entire length of it next to the battery. then feed the horn wire down into the space you just opened. (black wire in picture)

7) connect the negative spade connector on the horn to the gound wire you just made.

8) assemble the mounting hardware on the horn, the bolt head goes in the metal slot, then the plastic square...makre sure the tab on the plasic square fits into the slot on the horn...it keeps things from twisting. Then tighten ONE nun onto the bolt.

9) Put the horn in its plase, and before you put on the other nut, get the other end of the ground wire with the battery terminal connector on the bolt. tighten everything. Its a tight fit, but not terribly difficult. I was able to get in there with a 13mm wrench with a slightly bent head.

10) plug in the connector from the old horn that you just fed down here into the positive terimnal on the horn.

11) test it.

12) change your pants.

13) if everything works, grasp the horn firmly, and push up on it to bend the metal tab that it's bolted to just a bit. It doesn't take much, but it will move the horn out of the way so you can close up the plastic apron. don't go crazy here...measure so do you don't end up bending it any more out of shape than is necessary...it won't hurt anything if you do, but hey, neatness counts.

14) close apron and re-install brake ducts.

15) go for a drive, honk and people and watch them poop their pants.
    Last edited by blarg; 05-12-2006 at 03:39 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any sound/video clips of this beast in action?
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    Any sound/video clips of this beast in action?
    I can make some, but nowhere to host them.

I have the factory alarm...when that thing trips....its just PAINFUL...especially since I still have the factory alarm horns in there.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    I can make some, but nowhere to host them.
    Just use putfile.com it worked out nicely for me. You don't even have to make an account.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

ok here's a sound file. it really doesn't do it justice because the horn is so loud the compressor on the camera kicks in to adjust the volume...first you hear a normal horn honk, then I arm the alarm, and then I trip it.

http://media.putfile.com/teh-horn
    go f*** yourself

was that a cargo ship
    Stage II and loving it!

I Support ClubWRX
    I never liked the sound of Japanese car horns. I wonder what a standard WRX horn measures on a decibel meter? Me thinks I will order one of these.

Who would not want their WRX armed with a remote poop gun ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    I never liked the sound of Japanese car horns. I wonder what a standard WRX horn measures on a decibel meter? Me thinks I will order one of these.

Who would not want their WRX armed with a remote poop gun ...
    the markings on the horn say 110dB. Remember that sound levels increase on a log scale, not linear, so the difference from 110 to 139 is quite large.
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    That's so loud it's almost wrong....my neighbors would hate me.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    That's great...I want that horn so the largish vehicles on my commute will know I'm there...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    the markings on the horn say 110dB. Remember that sound levels increase on a log scale, not linear, so the difference from 110 to 139 is quite large.
    As a quasi-Rock musician I know the effects of the decibel scale all too well (and have numerous audiograms indicating hearing damage to prove it).
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-12-2006 at 07:37 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Blarg,that looks really easy,thanks for the writeup and pics.Replacing the weak factory horns will be a pleasure.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    As a quasi-Rock musician I know the effects of the decibel scale all too well (and have numerous audiograms indicating hearing damage to prove it).
    I'm not a rock musician, but have spent a lot of time in marching bands, jazz bands, orchestras...not to mention rock concerts by such ear-liquifiers as Judas Priest, GNR, etc..

Pretty sure I have a fair amount of damage as well. I'm afraid to have an audiogram done..
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

makes me want the dukes of hazard "dixieland" horn so much now!!!!

Registered User volcomsoldier19's Avatar
    i see me and you doing this to my car real soon blarg....this time i'll give you food but shhhhh don't tell

k thx
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    So if I'm stuck in a rut or something, it's mostly because I made a wrong decision somewhere and I need to correct myself out of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.