STi hids in 05 WRX

This is a discussion on STi hids in 05 WRX within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I didn't know where to post this but here. I have 04 STi hids and I want to put them ...

STi hids in 05 WRX

I didn't know where to post this but here. I have 04 STi hids and I want to put them in my 05 WRX. I have ballasts, ignitors, and two bulbs. What else do I need to do this install? Thanks.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't think you'd need to do much besides bolt 'em in.

Try teh search for HID install.
    Dave
    01 RS

you also need a harness for them to work, its not plug and play.

wagons_ho! sells his custom made harness on nasioc for $70. I have one on my WRX and it works amazingly. Everyone on nasioc stands by it.
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

you can also splice the wires to get it to work.. but its not reversable if you do decide to go back to the stock WRX headlights (Car accident, car partout, sell.. whatever) and its generally not recommended because of the huge amount of current that the HIDs draw when warming up. Eventually the ballast will burn out and you'll be SOL.

OH and also you might want to dissable your DRL...

my DRL is already disabled. So I just need a wiring harness and thats it?

Wait.. do you have the entire STi headlight assembly.. or just the bulbs / ballasts and you're planning to put those into your 05 WRX headlight assembly? Cause if you are.. its definatly NOT a good idea. Although they look identical.. they are completely differnt from the inside, the WRX headlights were created to reflect Halogen light, while the STi's were made for HIDs, its a big differnce. Im sure it can be done, but its going to be a horrible pain in the butt to do, you'll have a horrible beam pattern, and you'll probably blind everyone in sight. Not a good idea.

I thought to do the same thing and picked up some bulbs and ballasts and sold them later that week and got all my money back and them some, if you want HIDs, the only real way to do it, is to get the entire STi HID headlight assembly.. there is no way around it.
    Last edited by amukaoen; 03-24-2006 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amukaoen
    Wait.. do you have the entire STi headlight assembly.. or just the bulbs / ballasts and you're planning to put those into your 05 WRX headlight assembly? Cause if you are.. its definatly NOT a good idea. Although they look identical.. they are completely differnt from the inside, the WRX headlights were created to reflect Halogen light, while the STi's were made for HIDs, its a big differnce. Im sure it can be done, but its going to be a horrible pain in the butt to do, you'll have a horrible beam pattern, and you'll probably blind everyone in sight. Not a good idea.

I thought to do the same thing and picked up some bulbs and ballasts and sold them later that week and got all my money back and them some, if you want HIDs, the only real way to do it, is to get the entire STi HID headlight assembly.. there is no way around it.
    I have the 04 STi hids that came with ballasts, ignitors, and two bulbs.

if you use them in the oem WRX (not sti) housings... u will get mad light scatter...