Understanding Window Tint Options
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Understanding Window Tint Options within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need some help understanding the various window tint options. Based on my searching here, I am baffled as I ...

Understanding Window Tint Options

I need some help understanding the various window tint options. Based on my searching here, I am baffled as I had no clue there are options. I just thought window tint was window tint and the only thing that matter was % and whether it was professionally done or not. Clearly I have a lot to learn and I am hoping some of you can help me out.

When I got my window tint done 10 years ago, I paid like 150 for the whole car at 35% all around. I can see spots where it wasnt quality but overall, I was happy. Now, I want dark windows. I am not worried about legal as my state has no issue with rear windows and I was going to get a doctors note for approval on the front. I know its not for everyone but I really prefer darker windows.

Here are my wants:
    • Dark (20% maybe?)
    • Interior protection
    • Reduced heat

I cant really think of anything else. While I had been expecting to pay about $200 total, I find window tint to be important and will pay the crazy amounts I have seen for quality that matches my needs. I live in DE so I get a legit mix of hot summers and cold winters but nothing harsh enough either direction for location to be too much of a factor (i think?).

Anyway, I hope some of you can help me out a bit as I want to get this done. Its the only think my car "needs" in my opinion. Other mods are for fun, this one is important.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If your goal is to maximize heat reduction and be dark without completely compromising night time visibility, then you want to find a place that sells and installs ceramic window tint. Ceramic window tint is fairly new to the market (about 5-10 years new) and is easily the most quality tint available. It increases UV protection drastically over similar carbon, metallic or dyed tint. 20-15% should be all the darker you need. Go any darker than that and it becomes a large burden, especially at night.
    Billy
    2011 OBP WRX STi Sedan - click if bored
    2009 Ducati Monster 1100
    2008 Legacy 3.0R - SOLD
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - SOLD
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

new owner of 17 WRB WRX here. I just got 25% tint all around. 32% is the legal limit in GA but I usually go 20%. In my opinion 25% is not too dark and not too light - just right.
    It does awesome job on heat reduction and UV protection. The other benefit is for privacy and security. I sometime leave thing on the carpet (back seat) and you can't really see them. Out of sight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not a fan of obvious modifications that can lead to "fix-it" tickets (e.g., angled exhaust cannons, excessive tint, etc.), because it gives LEO a legit reason to stop you. If you have a few adult beverages with your friends, and you're close to that limit, that tint job could lead to a very expensive citation, as well as your name in the local paper.
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Daily
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno) - Toy

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I don't know the tint level on my car but it's black enough you can't hardly see through it. At night it's impossible to see anything out the sides or rear of the vehicle. Stick to the legal regulations and get a decent ceramic tint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

I Support ClubWRX
    Find a reputable tint shop. 3M ColorStable tint is a great product. I've never had any dulling/discoloring of it on any cars.
    I've tinted my last 7 cars and never got a ticket. It really depends where you live and if you drive like an idiot or not.
    I don't mind having different shades on front vs. rear. I do 35% front / 5% rear. It's never caused me any grief and I can see everything just fine. I can tell you it's usually between $350-$450 where I go. That's everything except the windshield. Personally, I wouldn't go below 35% on the front windows. It makes LEOs nervous. My 2 cents.

Ceramic tint by far is the best for you. Nothing will come close to it's UV/heat blocking ability. It's more expensive but well worth it.

Ceramic it is! Im debating what to do with the front windows for the reasons mentioned but at least i know to hunt down a ceramic installer in my area.

Thanks gentlemen

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.