Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tire replacement/rotation - scuffs on wheel!

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  irickchad 
#1 ·
I took my new 2017 STI to the dealership to replace a front tire due to a screw that got embedded in the sidewall. When I got the car back there were several chips in the alloy wheel. Is this normal from changing wheels/rotating tires?

Tire Rim Wheel Spoke Auto part
Tire Wheel Alloy wheel Rim Automotive tire
Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Auto part
Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim
Tire Alloy wheel Wheel Automotive tire Rim

See less See more
#2 ·
None of those look like tire changing scuffs to me, they look like rock chips.

Most good tire shops use plastic faced covers on their tools now as well. I have a good scuff on one of my wheels on the outer edge about 1" long.

#3 ·
I second road damage.

I've not been to a shop in recent years that doesn't use shielded tooling for removing and mounting tires. The only time I've seen mounting damage is when I would have to use a pry bar, and it's not trivial damage, it will Mar the heck out of the wheel. If it was done with powered mounting equipment it would typically be a long radial scratch along the wheel rim. As for the gripping equipment it grabs on the inside of the wheel where the scratch wouldn't be seen, and is quickly covered in brake dust.

There is a small chance they bonked it with a tool like, but that would more than likely be one spot and nearer to the lugs

#4 ·
It's not road damage. I washed the car 2 days before and individually cleaned each wheel with a terry cloth. No nicks on any wheel. Take it in and get that front tire changed, inspect the wheel right after and notice several dings and scrapes. All the other 3 wheels are still perfect. I am 100% certain this was from careless handling when they did the job. Plus they rushed the job when the service advisor called back to the tech after 3 hours and asked them why they hadn't even taken the wheel off yet.

#5 ·
I worked in a tire shop for a while, and I'm telling you that unless something was very, very wrong.... those aren't marks related from normal tire mounting/dismounting. You could have an air ratchet jump, a torque wrench slip, the mounting machine mar the rim of the wheel, slip with the dismounting claw while taking the tire off, and have someone juggling lugnuts beside the machine and drop everyone of them on the wheel and you wouldn't have that many nicks and scratches and If you're sure the shop damaged your wheel this extensively fight for them to have it refinished or supply you with a new wheel.

If it's a big chain store like a sears, walmart, sams club, etc. It may happen. If it's a down home small tire shop, I wouldn't hold your breath.

The one I'm especially sure is road damage is the one in the second photo on the extreme inner part of the wheel. You have to keep in mind that if you're unlucky enough to catch the right (wrong) patch of road, and catch a piece of debris just right, it can really wreak havoc on a wheel.

#6 ·
They're replacing the wheel - no questions asked. It was at my local Subaru dealership. I think the techs got a little too happy with their prybar, torque wrench. That 2nd picture gives me the exact opposite opinion than you have. Considering the location, I'd think there's no way it could be road debris.

#9 ·
They don't actually have to dismount any tires when they do that, so for the love of all things holy I'd hope they wouldn't screw that up. Just don't go back to them for a full set, haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.