Removing vortex generator?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Removing vortex generator? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a vortex generator on my car and I am thinking of wrapping my roof. Has anyone had a ...

Removing vortex generator?

I have a vortex generator on my car and I am thinking of wrapping my roof. Has anyone had a vortex generator on their car and removed it and put it back on. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Shouldn't be hard, just make sure it's warmed up a bit. I'm sure you'll have to remove some adhesive residue and apply new adhesive when you reinstall it.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

THE Resident Non-shifter JaySin's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by breckiam View Post
    I have a vortex generator on my car and I am thinking of wrapping my roof. Has anyone had a vortex generator on their car and removed it and put it back on. Any suggestions?
    Oh, and here I thought you wanted to stop making vortices.

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    Shouldn't be hard, just make sure it's warmed up a bit. I'm sure you'll have to remove some adhesive residue and apply new adhesive when you reinstall it.
    +1 - same as removing a dealer tramp stamp or your badging. I used a hair dryer...not super hot.

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    That's what I fingered, thanks for the post!

dont use any pry bars. even plastic ones. thats how i put dings in my roof and paid $350 to fix them. That thing will be stuck like cement. good luck.
    2015 Subaru WRX Limited
    2015 Subaru Forester XT Touring
    LastHumansGarage

Take your time.

Take it. Slow down, breathe. It's not a race.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by plac View Post
    dont use any pry bars. even plastic ones. thats how i put dings in my roof and paid $350 to fix them. That thing will be stuck like cement. good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    Take your time.

Take it. Slow down, breathe. It's not a race.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I think that adhesive is a little stronger than the badges on the trunk :/ I figured it would take some work

Hey, so I was thinking of doing the same thing, I have a vortex generator installed but I want to vinyl wrap my roof. Is it necessary to remove before applying the vinyl? And when putting it back on do you just apply it on top of the vinyl? If not how do you apply it? Furthermore how was your experience with removing it, did you end up having difficulty removing it with just a blow dryer? And last question, does it just re-attach or do you have to buy a new adhesive like 3M double sided tape? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted to make sure I do it right since it's my first time. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jlangreo View Post
    Hey, so I was thinking of doing the same thing, I have a vortex generator installed but I want to vinyl wrap my roof. Is it necessary to remove before applying the vinyl? And when putting it back on do you just apply it on top of the vinyl? If not how do you apply it? Furthermore how was your experience with removing it, did you end up having difficulty removing it with just a blow dryer? And last question, does it just re-attach or do you have to buy a new adhesive like 3M double sided tape? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted to make sure I do it right since it's my first time. Thanks!
    that post looks pretty familiar to the post you made on one of my youtube videos a few mins ago... lol
    2015 Subaru WRX Limited
    2015 Subaru Forester XT Touring
    LastHumansGarage

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.