Subaru WRX Forum banner

All-over hail damage on '02 WRX

818 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MainFrame 
#1 ·
Hi,

I bought a salvage-title 2002 WRX sedan which is covered in hail dings. According to the dealer it was totaled out because it's on every panel.
Fixing the appearance of this project car is pretty low on my repair list, but I'm curious what you guys think:

Would it be cheap/possible to replace all of the exterior body panels? (Going to a junkyard, finding a door here, roof there, etc, having a harlequin for a while)

Would a bodyshop repair it for less than the cost of replacing the panels?

It's a project car, so I don't mind taking my time to do the panel replacement, but I do want to get it looking good eventually.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Insurance quoted $5k for the hail damage on my 02. When I took it to a body shop they said the cheapest thing to do would be to replace the hood and trunk, then use body filler on the rest of the car and repaint the entire thing.. and it would cost between $5k-$6k.

#3 ·
Good luck finding clean junkyard panels. If there was one, its long gone.

If you honestly want to repair it, the labor is the killer, you have 2 repair options. Pull each panel and hammer it back to shape, good luck with that. Or filler and sanding. Second option is much easier, but takes ages to get it all smooth and uniform so the paint doesn't look like junk.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I took the insurance money and immediately sunk it all into suspension parts..

My eventual plan is to buy a new OEM hood, a new carbon fiber trunk, pull the roof panel and do paintless dent repair on it, then go through the rest of the body panels and do PDR on them. Then have the entire thing sanded down and resprayed... eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.