2016 Limited Fog Light Upgrades?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2016 Limited Fog Light Upgrades? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Trying to decide the best upgrade. I'm leaning towards 55w HID's. Any opinions why this should not be done? Better ...

2016 Limited Fog Light Upgrades?

Trying to decide the best upgrade.

I'm leaning towards 55w HID's. Any opinions why this should not be done? Better choices?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Home of the blues, the Blues, and the real life blues.
    subispeed has direct replacements. Replaced the housings and everything for a reasonable price.

I Support ClubWRX
    It shouldn't be done since you would be putting HID in a reflector. Either get real projector fogs or go with something like this.
    Subaru WRX STI XB LED Fog Lights - High Performance Fog Lamp Upgrades - The Retrofit Source
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Shifter Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | OEM STI & Morimoto Mini H1 Quad HID Retrofit | XSB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake | CNT Catted Divorced Downpipe W/Titanium Wrap and Grimmspeed Heatshild | Grimmspeed Pink Radiator Shroud & Alternator Cover

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    It shouldn't be done since you would be putting HID in a reflector. Either get real projector fogs or go with something like this.
    Subaru WRX STI XB LED Fog Lights - High Performance Fog Lamp Upgrades - The Retrofit Source

I had those same fogs in my Focus ST, very nice pieces. If you keep your eye on the "closeout" section of TRS, they will come up occasionally as B stock. Both my friend and I purchased these (his for a 15 STI) and they showed no visible imperfections. A steal for the 70 bux we paid! As far as light output, they matched his factory LED low beams almost perfectly.

Hope that helps!

SQ

Everyone is raving about the Morimoto XB LEDs and housing.

It's a direct pug-n-play.

I will be going this route.

I have been looking into adding a custom LED strip or a plasma light, but was told by a shop north of Baltimore that you have to cut apart the fog lights as they are not bonded like the headlights are; they were gonna charge me $350 to do the pair. Any of y'all have knowledge on this? And plasma vs LED strips?

We choose to die on our feet , rather than live on our knees!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have the OLM LED Direct replacements from SubiSpeed, they're nice.
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

THE Resident Non-shifter JaySin's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    May be a stupid question, but does replacing the fogs affect the steering responsive feature?

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    May be a stupid question, but does replacing the fogs affect the steering responsive feature?
    Is this a new feature on the 16's?
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 WRX COBB Surgeline Stage 2 Pro Tune
    Journal-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

THE Resident Non-shifter JaySin's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    Is this a new feature on the 16's?
    Yes. It comes with the Eyesight system.
    From the Subaru media release...the description:

"Models equipped with EyeSight also come with Steering Responsive Fog lights. This feature (which works when the fog lights are turned off) activates the left or right fog light independently, depending on the vehicle speed and steering angle, to provide enhanced illumination in the direction of the turn. The fog lights are pre-aimed for maximum coverage in corners."

edit: clear as mud, right?

^ Crystal creamy!
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 WRX COBB Surgeline Stage 2 Pro Tune
    Journal-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

Saw red circular plasmas (mayyy have been LEDs, was at a distance where I couldn't tell but LOOKED like plasma rings) on a WRX/STI a few weeks ago...

BADASS

...and they HAD to have them custom made.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Read: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

It's your choice to upgrade the lights. But as cflip said, a HID in a halogen housing is not only bad for you, its bad for other drivers on the road with you. You will actually see less with that setup.

Too bright of fog lights and it will create too much foreground light, which will reduce the distance you can see.
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

HID for fog lights is not a good idea because you don't want to be having them go on/off repeatedly as would happen in switching between high and low beams when the fogs turn off with high beams on. Different halogens or LED bulbs make more sense.
    Ryan
    '15 WRX Premium -- Sunroof, short throw, upgraded lights (SubiSpeed LED DRL boomerang, OLM HID 5000K low-beams, OSRAM 5000K high-beams), TapTurn, STi Wing, 20% Tint
    Other current: '92 Stealth RT/TT, '07 Avalanche LTZ
    Previous: '04 Saab 9-3, '02 WRX, '94 3000GT SL, '91 Eclipse GSX, '82 Porsche 931 (924 turbo), '79 Saab 900T, '81 Mitsubishi Starion, '80 Triumph Spitfire, '74 Saab Sonett III, '72 Opel GT

Quote Originally Posted by 15WRBlue View Post
    HID for fog lights is not a good idea because you don't want to be having them go on/off repeatedly as would happen in switching between high and low beams when the fogs turn off with high beams on. Different halogens or LED bulbs make more sense.
    Valid point good sir knight, valid point

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.