Help with rust, nicks, and scratches on a 2015 WRX (Rusting Already WTF)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help with rust, nicks, and scratches on a 2015 WRX (Rusting Already WTF) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought my 2015 Wrx Limited back in July last year already have 15k miles on it so its done ...

Help with rust, nicks, and scratches on a 2015 WRX (Rusting Already WTF)

I bought my 2015 Wrx Limited back in July last year already have 15k miles on it so its done a lot in the first 9 months. I am looking for help on scratch and rust repair cause somehow I've already got some nasty rust right above my front windshield... I know I'm going to get ridiculed for not having put on opticoat or a clear bra and the like, and i will agree those were my fault. I put on mud flaps very early on but never decided to add on a clear protective coat so now I need help in deciding how to fix whats wrong already. The first picture is the worst and like i said its right above the front windshield smack dab in the middle of the car. Second is right in the door well of the rear drivers side door and 3rd picture is on the opposite side of the car still rear door well. There are other small nicks i saw while taking these pictures but very similar to these. As for the surface scratches in the last 3 pictures (and there are many many more surface scratches on the car i didn't take a picture of all of them) I believe they are not all from my driving, but a lot are actually being created by ****ing homeless cats who wonder around my parking lot at work all day and I've caught laying on my car. I don't know if i can do much about this beside park in a different part of the parking lot, the problem is I'm out of the office a lot in a work truck and so I can't always check if these scummy cats are destroying my car. Anyways I am really looking for ideas on how to deal with each of these problems the rust surface scratches and small nicks that haven't started rusting yet before they do start to rust. any help would be appreciated I'm really apprehensive about starting to through touch up paint onto the car before I'm 100% positive in what I'm doing to prevent rust and whatever else or if i can just use a scratch removal set for the surface scratches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0312 (1).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	194385

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	194393

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	194401

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	194409

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	194417

Name:	IMG_0317.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	194425

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That top rust spot looks pretty bad. Your best bet would be to have that spot repainted.

The others look like touch up paint might do a decent enough job until you can protect them with OptiCoat, 3M vinyl film, or whatever other options are out there.

The scratches... Hmmmm. Touch up paint might be a pain in the ass to apply to those. But... worth a try. If you aren't comfortable with touch up paint on those marks, I would just suggest having it repainted.

I know some high-end detailing places can wrap your entire car in clear vinyl.

One day, Japanese automotive companies will realize that investing in a thicker coat is a good idea.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Use scratch x by hand on the scratches.

Homeless cats are not homeless, they are feral. If you count up all the damage they do and animals they kill it is by no means "humane" not to control them.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

thanks for the help i tried Quixx Scratch and i thought it worked then 24 hours later and the scratches were so obvious still. I'll have to buy some scratch x. and whether you call them homeless or feral idc they suck

The first one needs addressed asap. Check the warranty book they may have a rust clause.

To fix it properly the entire area will need to be sanded, primed and repainted, do not half-ass it, a little spot will grow to be a big problem if not addressed properly.

My recommendation is to go get touch up paint from the dealer. Once a week clean and dry the car by hand and apply touch up paint.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Snauce View Post
    thanks for the help i tried Quixx Scratch and i thought it worked then 24 hours later and the scratches were so obvious still. I'll have to buy some scratch x. and whether you call them homeless or feral idc they suck
    Get it clean and use a clean rag - you can push pretty hard as the abrasive breaks down as it works.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.