Fixing a deep paint Scratch on a bumper of a 2015 CWP WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fixing a deep paint Scratch on a bumper of a 2015 CWP WRX within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys.. Well, I am going to show you a deep scratch and what I did to fix it. It ...

I Support ClubWRX

Hey Guys.. Well, I am going to show you a deep scratch and what I did to fix it. It looks pretty solid! Not 100%, as it will never look 100% without a complete redo, but it's pretty hard to tell. Still waiting on the buffing/polishing, but right now pretty happy with it.

How'd the scratch happen you ask!? Well, a tool was dropped on the front bumper...

Anyways, Here's the scratch!

So the plan of attack since it's deep! Glazing and spot putty, wetsand, touch up paint, wetsand, buff/polish. Here's the tools!

So I cleaned the area. I then added some glazing and spot putty using a cell culture spreader since it's a rubber tip that forms to the surface, but keeps a flat surface at all times over holes. It's essentially a squeegee, but I have this at my disposal and like the work they do! Anyways..

Now to get off the excess putty, I used this!

Its from Dr Colorchip, which I had laying around. Works extremely well. I then wet sanded with some higher gritts. 800 and 100 and 2600. This became dull. But it was smooth.

I then added the touch up paint. I used a small artist brush since the brush that comes with the paint is HUGE. After some layers and steady hands, this was the after math.

I did add another layer and I am letting that dry!

So now buffing and polishing. I will post up pictures for after the process. But I am waiting for a day or two to continue the process to let the paint get harder. But so far, I am extremely satisfied and I thought I would share this. Anyone with body work experience, please chime in if you have more advice!

Before and after:
    Last edited by MarkkInNj; 03-29-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -AE

-For when my research is not going to plan, there is always beer and whiskey.
    -Without science, what do we have?

My build: Minimal. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...han-never.html

2014 ISM Hatch (His)
    2015 CWP Premium (Hers)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

(Reserved for more pics)
    Last edited by MarkkInNj; 03-30-2015 at 06:03 AM.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -AE

2014 ISM Hatch (His)
    2015 CWP Premium (Hers)

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I would've left it lol. Nice work though and good write up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I would've left it lol. Nice work though and good write up.
    I as well.. My car has scratches all over.. But my other half, who drives it thought it was the end of the world especially since she's only had it for four weeks lol Actually since I've known her I don't think I've seen her so bummed out, since she was the one to drop it. So to be the great person I am, drove her to work, and did this while she was there

Plus, I love experimenting on stuff I'm not too comfortable with

2014 ISM Hatch (His)
    2015 CWP Premium (Hers)

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkkInNj View Post
    I as well.. My car has scratches all over.. But my other half, who drives it thought it was the end of the world especially since she's only had it for four weeks lol Actually since I've known her I don't think I've seen her so bummed out, since she was the one to drop it. So to be the great person I am, drove her to work, and did this while she was there

Plus, I love experimenting on stuff I'm not too comfortable with

After all that work, get her a clear bra.
    The front scratches way to easy.
    I've seen your work, you could do the clear bra fairly easy.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    That's actually what I want to do! Just haven't had much time, but thank you for the kind words! I feel confident in installing a clear bra, and want to install one for her.. But it's been way to cold to do it, not that it's warmer its something I want to do! Now just time to figure out what one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 ISM Hatch (His)
    2015 CWP Premium (Hers)

That looks amazing Mark, great job!
    And I couldn't see any scuffs from the wet sanding fwiw
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    That looks amazing Mark, great job!
    And I couldn't see any scuffs from the wet sanding fwiw
    Thanks a lot man! I enjoy this stuff. This was my first true 'body' work. But I used a very similar technique on my curbed rims, only difference is I used bondo and primer on top of this stuff. I can't even tell I curbed them after the fix. Have to do it again though after all these potholes..

2014 ISM Hatch (His)
    2015 CWP Premium (Hers)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    The problem I'm having is finding sheets big enough.. All the rolls are pretty small width..

2014 ISM Hatch (His)
    2015 CWP Premium (Hers)

Looks great!

Subscribed to the thread for future reference. Great job on that, btw. Can't even tell anything happened at all.

Very solid work Doctor Rex, very solid work indeed! Glad to see that your patient has made a full recovery!
    Speak Your Mind & Let Me Know

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NOOBSTI View Post
    Looks great!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JustGresh View Post
    Subscribed to the thread for future reference. Great job on that, btw. Can't even tell anything happened at all.
    Thanks a lot man! Hope you don't have to use it.. But if you do, hope it helps! I'm going to give this a shot on some of my deeper chips now, that I've got it under the belt! Always got to try on her car first, then yours right!?

Quote Originally Posted by Germz to Japz View Post
    Very solid work Doctor Rex, very solid work indeed! Glad to see that your patient has made a full recovery!
    Thanks man! My patients usually make a recovery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 ISM Hatch (His)
    2015 CWP Premium (Hers)

haha 10/10
    Speak Your Mind & Let Me Know

Ugh, come fix mine. I immediately gouged a hole in the front bumper hitting the corner of a battery charger in our garage. I may or may not have cried about it. I actually contemplated paying the $400 or whatever it would be for a shop to fix it. I'm kind of over it now...but I still think about it and know it's lurking there.
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” - Clarkson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.