Subaru WRX Forum banner

Head lights and tail lights

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  GreyMatter14 
#1 ·
I'm going for a black and silver look for my car and really want to know the best way to go about blacking out my tail lights and headlights and I want the halo head lights but in still very much a rookie to all this so any help would be awesome

#2 ·
You have really 2 options. Tint film overlay or paint them with VHT nightshade. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I probably wouldn't tint my lights because that's just asking for a officer if you get in an accident to make you at fault for altering your lights. but if you must the VHT nightshade if done right can look great with 3-5 coats depending how dark you want to go and using a clear coat after. I haven't used the tint overlays but if you are looking for a none permanent option that takes less labor that would be it. Just make sure if you do paint your lights that you give it enough time to dry in between coats or else the paint will run and it will look bad. Sand and prep is key using a high grade sandpaper like a 1000 and some mineral spirits. Hope everything works out, any questions feel free to ask. I've done multiple vehicles with VHT.

#4 ·
What year is your car?

#6 ·
Keep in mind blacked out tail lights are illegal in most jurisdictions and may cause a claim denial in the event you are rear ended.

#9 ·
With tail lights I would get vinyl overlays first to see if you like them but I would pass on smoke

#10 ·
OP, do you have a hatch or sedan? I have a hatch with the red vinyl overlays on the tail lights with the blinker/reverse lights cut out. If I were you and wanted to get the smoked/blacked out look on my car I would do the red vinyl overlays with the smoked reverse/blinker light for the hatch, and if you own a sedan, just get the smoked reverse lights since the rest of the tail light is already red. And for the headlights, bake them and paint them black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.