Which fog light bulbs will match my factory HIds?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Which fog light bulbs will match my factory HIds? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all. I have 14 Limited sedan with factory HIDs. I want to replace the bulbs in my fog lights ...

Which fog light bulbs will match my factory HIds?

Hello all. I have 14 Limited sedan with factory HIDs. I want to replace the bulbs in my fog lights to match the head lights. Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

If not I will just order by color temperature(4000K-5000K). I should clarify, im not looking for HIDs, but some LED or super white bulbs to drop in.

If this is a pipe dream and you feel only HIDs will do the job, then id like to hear your suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    14 sedan: Protune: 318AWHP 344ft lbs up pipe, Tial EWG, AEM intake, Cobb AP V3, 3" TBE, Avo FMIC, Turbo Smart bpv, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop. Eibach sways, Perrin Spherical end links, Cusco subframe brace, White Line sway braces, Perrin sub frame bushings.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Only HID...can match the look of HID.

not to take away from the appeal and look of LED which is all its own and pretty sick.

I have an 09 Sedan with HID retrofit headlights with LED Halo rings. Clearly, the differences in light can be seen at night when I have all my lights on.

I don't think its a pipe dream at all. I hate my fogs. They were ok when I first had my car because it came with halogen headlights. However, after I did the retrofit, the HID heads make my fogs look weak and yellow and they don't even provide any kind of usable light when driving.

If you want the best performance and match....just get a 4300K HID kit into your fog light housing. I am also thinking about 3000K (yellow) HID kit for fog lights. Have you given that any thought? I have seen a few cars with HID headlight 4300K and HID Fog Light 3000K and it just makes a dazzling pretty display of blue and yellow light and very bright.

My foglight lenses are both cracked so I would love to know what you are gonna do to upgrade. I am in need of an upgrade as well.

On my truck, I have aftermarket halo light housings as well. They came with some dull yellow bulbs that I will be replacing.

As far as the wrx, I hate the look of the yellow fogs with the gorgeous hids. I was hoping to avoid the hid retrofit with relays and ballasts to maintain a clean look under the hood.

On your hid kit, do you have hid on low and high beam? Mine is only on low.
    14 sedan: Protune: 318AWHP 344ft lbs up pipe, Tial EWG, AEM intake, Cobb AP V3, 3" TBE, Avo FMIC, Turbo Smart bpv, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop. Eibach sways, Perrin Spherical end links, Cusco subframe brace, White Line sway braces, Perrin sub frame bushings.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think for fogs you want a lower temp so you can have more visibility though I could be wrong. To have a HID high beam you would need to do a quad projector retrofit or have a Bi Xenon projector installed and wire the cut off shield solenoid to work off of the high beams and disable the DRL
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	178585

So I installed a set of drop in bulbs in the fog lights. They are Sylvania Silverstar ZXE 55W.

It may be slightly whiter than stock, but not a true white.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	178593

Heres a night shot.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 100plus2Vegas View Post
    On my truck, I have aftermarket halo light housings as well. They came with some dull yellow bulbs that I will be replacing.

As far as the wrx, I hate the look of the yellow fogs with the gorgeous hids. I was hoping to avoid the hid retrofit with relays and ballasts to maintain a clean look under the hood.

On your hid kit, do you have hid on low and high beam? Mine is only on low.

Hey Vegas!!!

I did the HID retrofit for the low beam ONLY. I still have my Halogen high beam which is fully functional. I de-activated my DRLs and my HALO rings come on with parking/marker lights.

I am still not sure what to do about my fogs.

cflip2x is right about foggys though. If you want HID in there...properly...you will need to retrofit in some kind of projection.

As an alternative...I am strongly considering kits by PIAA (so expensive) or even HELLA (less pricey) yellow halogen fog light kits. Some of the products are pretty impressive. A co-worker of mine has a PIAA fog light kit that is amazing and Halogen. He paid ALOT of $$$ for it though.

So the 9006 ZXEs actually look fairly white at night(the ones I put in the fog lights). They are almost a match for the factory HIDs, but not 100%. Its close enough for me for the price of a set of drop in bulbs.

I also replaced my high beams with some Philips 9005 65w bulbs, and they are bright as !@*&. Again fairly white light. Really great value for the increased vision.

I installed the same bulbs in my fogs about a year ago now. They are closer in color to the HIDs than stock but still a bit off. I'm actualyl thinking of doing the yellow tint now. Saw a similar car to mine a few months ago and the yellow fogs actually look pretty sweet. Still on the fence..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.