Subaru WRX Forum banner

Debadging a WRX

9K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  guzziman 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 WRX and plan on debadging it for various reasons. Will it leave a mark if I do? What is the proper way to remove them so no harm is done?

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Start with either a Heat Gun/Blow Dryer/Warm Day (70+) then get some floss or fishing line Goo Gone will helps.
The Impreza Subaru WRX and symmetrical all wheel drive badges are just held on by double sided tape.
Just warm yup the area around the badges you want to remove and maybe squirt some goo gone around the badge and "floss it off" that its just take your time and don't rush it. With a 2013 you shouldn't see any major difference. You may only because you are looking for it. If you have some rubbing compound or light cutting wax you can blend it a little but over time you shouldn't notice.

I would not use a card such as an ID or credit card it may catch on the paint.

You can also search the Youtube machine on how to do it there are enough guides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_91f1RNOHLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE4oeLHHb_U

#5 ·
I used fishing line just to get the emblem off, then you can use goo gone but lighter fluid works better, use a soft rag and buff the adhesive off and wash and wax afterwards
That's another method. Definitely make sure it's either warm outside or use a heat gun or blow dryer as mentioned

#6 ·
I am not trying to hijack this thread in any way...

but I have an 09 Sedan and I REALLY want to de-badge it too. I am scared of marks it will leave too. Is 5 years too old of a car to de-badge? What you guys think?

Anybody out there with an 09 or older that just recently de-badged? Is goo gone safe to get on the paint? I know Subaru paint is notoriously bad. Doesn't hold up well.

#7 ·
I used fishing line just to get the emblem off, then you can use goo gone but lighter fluid works better, use a soft rag and buff the adhesive off and wash and wax afterwards
That's another method. Definitely make sure it's either warm outside or use a heat gun or blow dryer as mentioned

#18 ·
Do you want to put all 4 badgers on? If so you might as well just buy a new set it may make your life a lot easier.
Your going to have to get some new double sided tape clean of all the residue from the old adhesive as well as any solvent you will be using. You will need to exacto out a lot of lettering. You may just want to buy a new set but all up to you. If anything I would keep the WRX.

#10 ·
Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Whitt11, I am sorry for threadleaching your post!

I am gonna give this a go over the weekend.

Nsibanez...thanks for the input. I guess you have firsthand experience with the goo gone so I am assuming I can use it without worry. I have never heard of the lighter fluid thing. What do you think about using dental floss instead of fishing line? I also heard dental floss is a bit easier to work the badge tape off. Any experience?

I will post up results on Monday or Tuesday. I am so scared of ghost letters on my car. Im such a wuss!:shakehead:

#14 ·
I had an 08 WRB wrx and debadged the whole rear without any noticeable traces just last year. Just use soft dental floss and a heat gun (carefully) like everybody else said and you will be more than fine. And also did it to my 14, nothing to be scared of.

#19 ·
As everyone said heatgun/blow dryer. Just keep the heat on and roll off the adhesive when you have the emblems off. Also don't forget to wax the area where the badges are after you have them off. Good luck and post up some photos when you're done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.