Subaru WRX Forum banner

Trunk Swap HELP (Install)

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nsibanez 
#1 ·
I'm swapping with an STI soon and after swapping trunks will I be 100% good or is there anything else I need to do? Some guy said I'll need new torsion bars??? Help please ! :wiggles:

#2 ·
You don't need to swap the bars as well but its preferable. When performing the swap dont tighten the bolts all the way so you can align the trunk when its close. Its also preferable to park both cars back to back.
its not difficult just search the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VigzKC5ji_0

#3 ·
It's a lot easier then it sounds. The hardest part is unclipping connectors...maybe the torsion bars.
Again you will need his deck lid for the 3rd brake light and he'll need yours because he won't have the brake light anymore since it's the led in the low wing. So you'll also need his 3rd brake light assembly. I can take pics of the parts you'll need later if needed

Also the torsion bars do not need to be swapped out but it's a good idea to. The wrx are thinner and less torsion so the weight of the sti trunk will make it harder to open is all and the sti torsion bars will swing the wrx trunk open fast
(After my swap I noticed that the trunk opened in its own all the way up pretty easily then the torsion bars settled and now I have to manually open the trunk, it doesn't just pop all the way up on its own so don't be alarmed)

#5 ·
You won't have as much of an issue but he might
They're really not hard...just make sure to have a tight grip on them, push towards the front of the car where the hook is, pull it out of the side where they settle in. Would help to definitely have a picture of how they sit installed as well. Took me a while to find an image and figure it out...plus I will say again...have a dam good grip on the bars. One sprung out and nailed me in the nose and head just missing my eye. Least to say I felt pretty dazed and a bit nautious afterwards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.