Anyone Ever Try Running A Single Fog Light and Single Driving Light Together?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Anyone Ever Try Running A Single Fog Light and Single Driving Light Together? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I love the Hela 500 driving lamps I have on my Cherokee. I also like the idea of having fog ...

Registered User Jackstand Johnny's Avatar

Anyone Ever Try Running A Single Fog Light and Single Driving Light Together?

I love the Hela 500 driving lamps I have on my Cherokee. I also like the idea of having fog lights on my WRX but I really want driving lights too. Rather than installing a light bar just yet, I was wondering what yall thought of replacing the factory fog lights with a single Hella 500 and a single 500FF together to get both a driving light and a fog light? If aimed correctly I think they should do ok without losing too much spread from either one. The fog like would probably suffer the most, but I know for a fact a single driving lamp can still help a lot over nto having one at all. Is this just a completely idiotic idea or has this maybe been done before? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Do you mean like.. one light? Mounted in the middle? I think that would just look weird.

Or are you talking about deleting your fog lights and headlights, and using a Hella 500 for both? I think doing away with your headlights is a bad idea..... and I also think I must be confused as to what you're talking about.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes this has been done but not for road use. It's done for events such as night time/distance rallies and then only if the rules limit the total number of lights.

I'd mount 2 H3 fogs, switch high beams to HIR, and maybe consider LED low beams.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Do you mean like.. one light? Mounted in the middle? I think that would just look weird.
    Or are you talking about deleting your fog lights and headlights, and using a Hella 500 for both? I think doing away with your headlights is a bad idea..... and I also think I must be confused as to what you're talking about.
    OP has a bugeye. He's asking if anyone has ever replaced the factory fog lights with a Hella 500 driving light on the left socket, and a Hella 500 fog light on the right socket (or vice versa).

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Yes this has been done but not for road use. It's done for events such as night time/distance rallies and then only if the rules limit the total number of lights.

I'd mount 2 H3 fogs, switch high beams to HIR, and maybe consider LED low beams.
    Bugeyes have dual filament 9007 headlight bulbs (high/low). There is no HIR replacement for 9007 bulbs.

To the OP, follow this guide: How-To: Improve Your Headlights

The Philips X-Treme Power bulbs are the brightest 9007 I could find, and were excellent. I had the Philips bulbs in my headlights, and Hella 500 fogs with PIAA Crystal Ion yellow bulbs, and was very pleased with the results. Check out my build thread in my signature below for some pics.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    OP has a bugeye. He's asking if anyone has ever replaced the factory fog lights with a Hella 500 driving light on the left socket, and a Hella 500 fog light on the right socket (or vice versa).

Bugeyes have dual filament 9007 headlight bulbs (high/low). There is no HIR replacement for 9007 bulbs.

To the OP, follow this guide: How-To: Improve Your Headlights

The Philips X-Treme Power bulbs are the brightest 9007 I could find, and were excellent. I had the Philips bulbs in my headlights, and Hella 500 fogs with PIAA Crystal Ion yellow bulbs, and was very pleased with the results. Check out my build thread in my signature below for some pics.
    Yes thats exactly what Im asking, thank you lol. I was wondering if I sounded like a complete slowtard. I actually bookmarked those same 9007 bulbs you mentioned and Ill probably get those soon. Lol its funny cause I already had those piaa yellow H3 bulbs in my amazon wishlist. Would it be possible to just install them in my factory fog lights since they also use an H3 bulb? That way I wouldnt have to spend the money on a set of Hellas. What do you think? Dumb idea?

Damn dude I just saw your build thread. Your Bugeye is SICK! I love those gauges and especially that headlight mod you did. It looks just plain evil now lol. Im really want to replace my up ipe with a catless one myself as soon as possible. Please let me know how it went. Im an above the knee leg amputee and iliterally JUST got my new leg the day before Thanksgiving so Im still on crutches. Im also very mechanically inclined. Would you recommend I do it myself or take it to a shop to have done? Im leaning towards having a shop do it cause Ive read its a PITA to install and NOT screw it up. Thanks in advance.

Ah holy crap man I just finished reading the last page. Im really sorry to hear about your accident. Thats terrible dude. Glad to read that you made it out of there ok.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackstand Johnny View Post
    Would it be possible to just install them in my factory fog lights since they also use an H3 bulb? That way I wouldnt have to spend the money on a set of Hellas. What do you think? Dumb idea?
    The Hella 500's are a night and day difference over the stock fogs. Much better reflector inside. Especially if you get the newer FF500 series. Also any H3 bulb will fit in any H3 housing. It's how it works. Square peg goes in square hole. The issue becomes when they change the wattage. Then the wiring has to be upgraded.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The Hella 500's are a night and day difference over the stock fogs. Much better reflector inside. Especially if you get the newer FF500 series. Also any H3 bulb will fit in any H3 housing. It's how it works. Square peg goes in square hole. The issue becomes when they change the wattage. Then the wiring has to be upgraded.
    +1

Also, I sold my stock foglights for $150 and bought the Hellas for $60, plus the Kartboy foglight brackerts for $30, and still had cash left over. The Hellas are much, much better than the factory foglights, but of course you can try out the PIAA bulbs in your stock foglights first if you like.

Replacing the uppipe isn't that difficult if you follow the many guides out there and take your time. I did mine a little differently than most in that I dropped the entire header assembly from the block, rather than just the collector casting that the uppipe bolts to. Easier to take it all out as one big piece, in my opinion.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.