2015 WRX - easy to scrape the front overhang on bumps/driveways?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX - easy to scrape the front overhang on bumps/driveways? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All, What has been your experience with that huge front overhang? Does it get scraped easily on driveways and ...

Hi All,

What has been your experience with that huge front overhang? Does it get scraped easily on driveways and bumps? Or does it fall more on the reasonable side?

It's one of my biggest pet peeves so I just want to have an idea of what I'll be dealing with. I tend to be careful when approaching unfamiliar inclines, by slowing down and approaching at an angle. Is this something I'll have to do constantly with this car? Or would that not even be enough?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Its a monster truck. You'll be fine.

I do scrape once in a while. Stock height.

I scraped during my test drive. When I checked the damage after I parked, I found that the engine cover is what scraped. A couple months later (and quite a few scrapes) I would say nine out of ten times, its the engine cover that digs first. I'm not too concerned about light scrapes though, there's a pretty large gap of space between it and anything important. If anything, I'm more concerned if the aggressive lip will snowplow instead of ride over deep snow (12"+) this winter. The cover is fairly pliable also, it gives and relieves a lot of the force applied to it. So, I don't think the damage is as bad as it sounds most times.

To me, its more of a perspective issue with the ride height. The front lip makes the ground clearance appear lower than the previous model. I'm not sure how the approach angles compare though. Does anybody know if the STi has the same type of engine/aero cover that hangs low like the front mounted turbo FA20DIT?

The standard answer is to put an aftermarket front lip on for some extra durability. There used to be a bunch for previous gens, including eBay ones that were cheap but good. I'm sure there are/will be for the 4th gens.

Don't know about the undertray, though. Never had a problem with mine even when I scraped the lip, but that was a '12.

Sent from the beer depository.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by AWDuh View Post
    I scraped during my test drive. When I checked the damage after I parked, I found that the engine cover is what scraped. A couple months later (and quite a few scrapes) I would say nine out of ten times, its the engine cover that digs first. I'm not too concerned about light scrapes though, there's a pretty large gap of space between it and anything important. If anything, I'm more concerned if the aggressive lip will snowplow instead of ride over deep snow (12"+) this winter. The cover is fairly pliable also, it gives and relieves a lot of the force applied to it. So, I don't think the damage is as bad as it sounds most times.

To me, its more of a perspective issue with the ride height. The front lip makes the ground clearance appear lower than the previous model. I'm not sure how the approach angles compare though. Does anybody know if the STi has the same type of engine/aero cover that hangs low like the front mounted turbo FA20DIT?
    Interesting...I just assumed it would be the lip that would scrape first before anything else. I looked at photos of the underbody and now see what you mean -- the cover does appear to dip lower relative to the lip. Just curious, what tends to scrape it more often? Speed bumps or slopes/driveways?

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    The standard answer is to put an aftermarket front lip on for some extra durability. There used to be a bunch for previous gens, including eBay ones that were cheap but good. I'm sure there are/will be for the 4th gens.

Don't know about the undertray, though. Never had a problem with mine even when I scraped the lip, but that was a '12.

Sent from the beer depository.
    Did you put one on yours? Yeah, I might consider going that route. If only it wouldn't lead to reduced clearance, making you scrape more often. Oh well, better than leaving it completely vulnerable I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Interesting...I just assumed it would be the lip that would scrape first before anything else. I looked at photos of the underbody and now see what you mean -- the cover does appear to dip lower relative to the lip. Just curious, what tends to scrape it more often? Speed bumps or slopes/driveways?
    Both, actually... But, more often than not, its a slope that does it. I've been staggering the car a little when I approach a steep grade. It helps mostly but sometimes it catches and I grit my teeth.

Speed bumps haven't given me the same problem but I am a little more hesitant when I cross them more than I have been in any other car. I feel like a good, healthy speed bump might Titanic that oil reservoir under the turbo and sink me into the depths of the sea of warranty denial. Luckily though, I've only grazed them once or twice.

One more thing, I haven't rested my bumper on any curbs or parking logs, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AWDuh View Post
    Both, actually... But, more often than not, its a slope that does it. I've been staggering the car a little when I approach a steep grade. It helps mostly but sometimes it catches and I grit my teeth.

Speed bumps haven't given me the same problem but I am a little more hesitant when I cross them more than I have been in any other car. I feel like a good, healthy speed bump might Titanic that oil reservoir under the turbo and sink me into the depths of the sea of warranty denial. Luckily though, I've only grazed them once or twice.

One more thing, I haven't rested my bumper on any curbs or parking logs, yet.
    Yikes...that would be a major ouch. You really don't wanna go like Jack, disappearing into the deep dark sea, leaving Rose behind in this cruel world. (I see the word Titanic and what came to mind is a cheesy DiCaprio reference. That is just sad. )

But that's just great...I was anxious enough about minor cosmetic scratches, now you've got me worrying about serious damage.

Have you just been careful with the curbs and parking logs, or is the clearance good enough for most parking spots that you've been able to get away with pushing the nose too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Yikes...that would be a major ouch. You really don't wanna go like Jack, disappearing into the deep dark sea, leaving Rose behind in this cruel world. (I see the word Titanic and what came to mind is a cheesy DiCaprio reference. That is just sad. )

But that's just great...I was anxious enough about minor cosmetic scratches, now you've got me worrying about serious damage.

Have you just been careful with the curbs and parking logs, or is the clearance good enough for most parking spots that you've been able to get away with pushing the nose too far?
    I haven't actually had any issues and after inspecting yesterday, there are hardly any noticeable markings under the car. All of which are on the leading edge of the engine cover and is barely scratched at that. My bumper cover shows no scratches (and I looked for a while too, DGM doesn't show scratches too easily). It's all very smooth and should glide over snow too.

The lowest point of the cover is just under 5" or 12.5cm.
    Underbody by awduh1, on Flickr

You can see in this pic that the under-body begins to taper just behind the bumper. You shouldn't have a problem with a curb unless you waaaaay overshoot but, it's something to keep in mind. Here's a little tip to understand what is going on here. Take some type of straight-edge and align it from the edge of the bumper to the tangent on the tire. Account for a little perspective distortion and you van see why the plastic cover is made to that angle where it tapers. That maximizes the approach angle whilst maximizing the cover size. If you are worried about damage if you hit a curb, take a peek down there from the engine compartment. You will see two beefy forged-aluminum bars straddling the turbo and some clearance between them and the plastic cover. This shouldn't cause any problems unless you lower the car.
    Side Dip by awduh1, on Flickr

You can see the clearance of the front edge of the bumper is nearly 8" or 20cm.
    Front Lip by awduh1, on Flickr

Keep in mind that I measured this over gravel with a bent tape.. These aren't official measurements but you get a good idea of the clearance.

Wow, thanks a lot for taking the time to take the photos...much appreciated! It's much clearer now.

That does look like a pretty drastic dip (3 inches lower!) compared to the bumper edge, although I see what you mean by the overall approach angle not being compromised. This will be my first Subie so I'm very new to everything. Just wondering if the aero cover has traditionally dipped that low, or is this a first with this generation because of the bottom mounted turbo?

I've been pretty good when it comes to parking and avoiding the curb...haven't scraped on any yet in the 6+ years I've had my current ride. Of course there will be a learning curve with the new car...I'll be sure to stop super far from any curb, leave the car, inspect distance, get back in and repeat as many times as needed until I can gauge the proper distance...guaranteeing I'll look like a noob driver in the process.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.