Subaru WRX Forum banner

2015 STI Fin

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  kprugbyplaya 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2015 STI. Really wavered as I really find that fin a little too "shouty" Got an estimate from body shop to remove ,bond and respray (will have them remove badging while their at it) Is this a bad Idea ? would like some feedback please. Thanks.

#2 ·
Do you mean the wing? If so just do a trunk swap more then enough people out there that are willing to trade. Also if you want to debadge get some goo gone let the car sit in the sun and some floss or fishing line. What color is your car? From what I have seen the GBP and Red are the more "rare" colors but just post your info on the trunk swap and you will find someone. Personally its up to you but I dont mind the look of wing or wingless

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/exterior-appearance/68124-unofficial-trunk-swap-thread-129.html

#3 ·
Welcome to club. :)

How ow much did they quote?

I just bought a regular WRX trunk lid from a salvage yard and swapped it. That way I still have the original for when or incase I eventually sell/trade it in. Search around on google for used parts/salvage yards and you will find them. It's four bolts and a plug and that's all there is to the swap. Super easy.

Search Results

#4 ·
I just bought a regular WRX trunk lid from a salvage yard and swapped it. That way I still have the original for when or incase I eventually sell/trade it in. Search around on google for used parts/salvage yards and you will find them. It's four bolts and a plug to to the swap. Supper easy.

Search Results
Im sure there are people that have already trashed a 2015 but I would go the trunk swap route though yes keeping the orignal on hand would help resale

#6 ·
I noticed that when I put an sti wing on my wrx it felt more stable at higher speeds, so I'd assume the opposite in your case. Not that you'll be all over the road without it on the highway, it just feels sturdier

#8 ·
You could. Like I said it's a noticeable difference but it's not terrible. Most likely will just feel like a windy day. Plus the fact that this new model has a tighter suspension then my gen so I'm willing to be any difference will be very minimal
Although I thought I remember hearing that the 15 wing specifically helps reduce drag. But either way if you don't like it you don't need it and people are always looking to do a trunk swap. Simple enough, just takes a few hours with basic tools

#11 ·
FYI I did my trunk swap in less than 20 minutes. And that was going crazy slow and being super cautious. It is literally 4 bolts and a plug.

The downforce from the wing is like a sack of potatoes at a 100mph. I don't do triple digits much so I don't sweat it personally.

How much did they quote you at the shop?

#15 ·
Ah. Just curious.

It may take some time but it would very likely be cheaper just to buy a trunk lid from a salvage yard. Plus you would still have the option to switch it back if you like later and of course it will be helpful if/when selling/trading.

Good luck either way though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.