Hella horn install 2002 wrx using stock wiring

This is a discussion on Hella horn install 2002 wrx using stock wiring within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm not big on wiring anything, so I just wanted to use the stock wires for the horns for ...

Hella horn install 2002 wrx using stock wiring

So I'm not big on wiring anything, so I just wanted to use the stock wires for the horns for I don't think I really need that extra oomph a new relay adds since it's supposedly insignifcant. When I first bought the twin hella horns 2 weeks ago, I noticed the wires were too short to position the horns and so they're currently sitting in the backseat of my car in the box. Is there a way I can simply formulate an extension? I tried searching around but not much comes up about these horns on the bugeyes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bought a role of 18g wire from the auto parts store, and a few female/male quick connects. Ran the power from the stock connector to to a length of wire I made to one horn, then connected both horns together, then grounded the other horn to the bolt that holds the hood bracket on. Make sure you sand down the paint first to get a good ground though. It took a few different configurations to get it right but its not that complicated. Power in power out. Hope that helps man

So do you have the wire for the second stock horn just hanging there?

I just disconnected it and secured it to the side with a zip tie , so if I wanted to go back go stock I could

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't use the stock wiring. I did this for the first 6 months I had the Hella horns, and they don't sound very good at all. Not only are they not appreciably louder than stock, they have a somewhat sickening tone to them.

You're much better off wiring them properly, using one of the stock horn leads as a relay trigger, drawing power directly from the battery, and grounding to the frame.

It's a very simple wiring harness to make, but if you really don't want to do it yourself, you can get a plug-and-play harness from SubiMods here: Subimods Hella Horn Harness Kit Subimods Store, Subimods

Here's the wiring schematic I used for my bugeye:
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I would agree with that, I don't really care for the sound the way its wired now. I've heard other setups and they are much louder. But I never use my horn so I could care less.

For the time being, I essentially made wire extensions from the stock relay grounded to the frame. It's good for me, I'll wire it up some other time. Thanks all!