Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRB = Attention?

5K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  tunafisch 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I've been scanning this site for a while now and finally decided to create an account on it because it seems like a knowledgeable and rather humorous community. Anywho, I'm shopping for a 2011-2014 WRX as my next car and I've got a question for you guys about Paint color- I'm stuck between the World Rally Blue and the White Pearl.

I'm really curious to hear from anyone with a rally blue about the attention it grabs- mainly referring to the police. I drive a tan Civic Si right now (it's for sale) and no one gives me a second look when I drive around. Obviously driving fast is driving fast and any cop with two eyes can tell that, but I worry that the Rally Blue might attract too much? It sure does look nice when waxed up nicely though... Can't go wrong with white either but I love to wax my cars and worry that I could miss the shine of a brighter color if I opted for the white.

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated. I look forward to being an actual WRX Owner on the site soon :drive2:

~Fish

#3 ·
Mine is DGM with mild tint, but it gets more law enforcement attention than I would prefer. These cars will attract their attention in any color - especially the hatches, and even more so if you go aftermarket with your exhaust.

I've been pulled over a number of times for a look over - I think they expect a backward-hatted, tattoo sleeved 20 year old with a joint behind his ear - and instead get old married guy. No tickets, but it is a pain in the ass.

Now I guess I could slow down a bit too ... ;)

One way or the other, it goes with the territory with these types of cars, and since they look good in pretty much all the colors, they will attract plenty of attention - good and bad.

#4 ·
I've had my WRB (w/ 10% window tint, gold wheels and full catless n1 race exhaust) for almost 8 years. I've been pulled over once back in 2008 for speeding and was given a warning. Don't drive like a psycho and you'll probably be okay.

#7 ·
There are all kinds of theories out there regarding colors attracting more attention from the police. I have been driving for over 15 years now, and I have learned through experience, that regardless of the color of your car...If you drive like an asshat, then you will get pulled over. If you drive in accordance with the laws of the road, then you won't get pulled over (even if you car is painted neon yellow).

#8 ·
Id say that it might attract a little more attention. Simply from a distance, the blue would catch your eye a little more than white or silver or gray and black. But that doesn't mean you will get pulled for the color. Supposedly red cars get pulled the most.

I have had my 2010 WRX in Spark Silver for 2 years now...haven't been pulled yet ;)

#10 ·
WRB with 30% all around angel eyes and gold wheels luckily the cops don't stop me but at the same time I try not to drive like an A$$. If anything I get attention from other drivers that want to race or follow me.

Blue is a color that you don't see as much so the color will stand out in a crowd of Sliver, Black, White cars. The Sentra, Corolla, Civic, Forte, Velostor, Aceent even an extreme Focus ST have similar shades of blue and they stand out just as much from a distance.

#12 ·
I had a WRB 05 STI for over 3 years...it was low, loud as hell, catless, giant STI wing and fun. I even drove fairly fast on highways, but didn't drive like an idiot bobbing and weaving. Got pulled over once for speeding (no ticket), and once for having outdated registration. Those were both my fault. Had I not been breaking the law, I wouldn't have been pulled over.

As everyone else says, don't drive like a dummy, you'll be fine.

#13 ·
I think a lot of it depends where you live. I live in an area where the cops really have very few things to attend to, so the focus is on traffic enforcement. That is where they make there arrests (outstanding warrants, drugs, DUI, etc.) Traffic enforcement becomes their bread and butter. As a result everyone I know has tales of being pulled over for minor infractions - or for NO infractions. (keep in mind I'm one of the older married guy members on here, so my friends are mostly Camry/Corrolla/Prius drivers) The police are basically fishing - and profiling cars is an easy place to start. Cars owned by younger drivers make easy targets. There are plenty of areas where the police are dealing with larger issues, and the entirety of the force is not doing traffic enforcement 90% of the time.

I have driven for years in far less interesting looking cars with very little attention from the law, but since owning my WRX I've been pulled over four times in three years. No tickets from any of them - mainly because I had not done anything wrong but was being pulled over for a look-see. FWIW - I don't drive like an a$$hat, and the closest reason to legit I've been given is that I was five miles an hour over the posted limit. We all know the police only make that stop because they want a look at the driver/contents of the car.

All sports cars attract more attention than regular cars - and that gets compounded quickly if you drive it aggressively. Colors play little role in the long run - so get what you like and don't be surprised if you get a little extra attention.

#16 ·
My 2013 WRX is ice silver. The only one around where I live. The only other WRX in a 10-15 mile radius is my friend and co workers 2013 WRB Hatch. I played little league and went to school with 70% of my towns police force. The next town over has a 0 tolerance law on everything. I don't drive like a jack___ you won't have problems. I only play in industrial parks I'm very familiar with. Or brand new roads that have not opened yet. There are best. Safe no people on road except the cars racing. Excellent for data logging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.