Bulbs are 5 watts more than stock- is this an issue?

This is a discussion on Bulbs are 5 watts more than stock- is this an issue? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone, New to this forum- just purchased a brand new 2014 WRX and I'm loving it. I had a ...

Bulbs are 5 watts more than stock- is this an issue?

Hello everyone,

New to this forum- just purchased a brand new 2014 WRX and I'm loving it.

I had a pair of yellow 9005 65w bulbs laying around that I thought I'd use as the DRL/high beams. When swamping them out, I noticed the stocks are 60w. Will this cause some kind of issue? If all I'm risking is burning the bulbs (or a shorter bulb life), that's fine because I really don't have any other use for the bulbs- I just don't want to melt the housing.

Has anyone else used a bulb that's slightly higher in wattage? All thoughts are greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In a bit surprised with this forum. When I purchased the wrx, one exciting aspect of getting the car was knowing that I would be a part of a new car club. I've had many other cars before and was always a proud member of the club because I was able to share ideas, provide help, and get help from fellow enthusiasts from the community. As for this club, 86 people so far have viewed this thread and no one was able to share their 2 cents. Is this really the culture of this club? Isn't the purpose of this community to reach out to other members and share ideas? I've come across far too many other threads on here where someone had a question and no one bothered to help (much like this thread).

Not trying to be a prick by any means, just not used to this kind of culture. Hope someone can share their thoughts now...

I hadn't seen the thread till now, usually I just look at the "whats new" tab every once in a while so its very possible I missed it. 5 watts over stock won't melt anything. I ran 65 watt bulbs in my bugeye for 2 years and always drive with lights on, never had an issue.

Thanks for the response Ski.wrx! Much appreciated.

5w won't do anything wire wise. You should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No problem I've played around with the lighting set up on my car quite a bit and researched even more. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubieSilver View Post
    In a bit surprised with this forum. When I purchased the wrx, one exciting aspect of getting the car was knowing that I would be a part of a new car club. I've had many other cars before and was always a proud member of the club because I was able to share ideas, provide help, and get help from fellow enthusiasts from the community. As for this club, 86 people so far have viewed this thread and no one was able to share their 2 cents. Is this really the culture of this club? Isn't the purpose of this community to reach out to other members and share ideas? I've come across far too many other threads on here where someone had a question and no one bothered to help (much like this thread).

Not trying to be a prick by any means, just not used to this kind of culture. Hope someone can share their thoughts now...
    Sheesh, cool your jets there. Threads can be buried pretty easily. Remember that nobody is paid to help you.

That said, the 65W bulbs only draw about 0.7amps over the stock bulb, and even with the high beams on, the current draw will still be much less than the 15A fuse. If you start blowing fuses left and right, you've got a problem, but I use 65W bulbs in both my high and low beams with no issues after years of use.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Hey there... same thing here, I visit the new threads once a day, and I miss a lot.

Rambo is a trusted and knowledgeable senior member.
    I have nothing to add to his reply, only that his information is accurate, and you can move forward with your installation without concern that you got your answer from someone who doesn't know what's up.

Pics of the new beam pattern might be cool, it is always nice to see results.