Hella horns not working

This is a discussion on Hella horns not working within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, something weird is going on in my car... i installed the hella horns around a month ago and ...

Hella horns not working

Hey guys, something weird is going on in my car... i installed the hella horns around a month ago and all of a sudden they stopped working... but the funny thing is that my car is now using a different horn which i have no clue where it is... i know this because i even unplugged the hella horns completely and the other horn was working. so my question is.. why arent my hella horns the ones that are used when i honk...???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like you did some weird wiring that didn't disconnect your stock horn.

Or its possible you unplugged one hella horn, and only the other is going off. Just trace back over your wires and make sure they are still in tact. Also make sure you don't have any blown fuses.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

There is one stock horn left near the passenger side tire when you remove the stock horn from the front.
    2014 DGM Sedan

i used the subi mods wiring harness and i checked both fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brucewayne View Post
    There is one stock horn left near the passenger side tire when you remove the stock horn from the front.
    This. I removed both stock horns. Used subimod's wiring and haven't had a problem yet.

Ahhhhh how do i access the other horn? Cause the hella horns were working but then all of a sudden they stopped

Did you buy it new or used? I was reading about the relay being used wasn't correct for the way the harness was wired. So as soon as you hooked it up to the battery the relay was energized and when you hit the horns they were still drawing power from the factory wires.
    '14 SWP STI

I have the hella's on my wrx. Also I left the second stock horn in place. There really isn't a reason to remove it.
    2014 DGM Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    I would check the relay and see if there is any corrosion on the terminals. I had to replace mine a few times since they got wet. I also used my own wiring harness.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I bought everything brand new, and yeah i didnt see a need to take off the second horn, should i contact subi mods with this? Or just go buy another relay? Also which would should i buy i dont mind spending the extra $$ if you guys know of a reliable water proof one

I Support ClubWRX
    I say get a meter and start checking circuits while a lovely assistant presses the horn button.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

My experience with the Hella horns was not a great impression, for a while. I bought the Subimod harness and used their relay. 1 month or so after the install the relay went out. I then installed the relay that came with the horns. That lasted maybe 4 months. The sound was weak compared to what I expected. I had to leave one of the factory horns in case the horns stopped working. I was done spending money on these horns. I eliminated the relay and fuse cable that came with the harness. I connected the horn switch cable to the positive wires of horn, and ran the negative cables to the battery. The horns actually sound loud now.
    Last edited by george023; 06-19-2014 at 08:06 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by george023 View Post
    My experience with the Hella horns was not a great impression, for a while. I bought the Subimod harness and used the their relay. 1 month or so after the install the relay went out. I then installed the relay that came with the horns. That lasted maybe 4 months. The sound was weak compared to what I expected. I had to leave one of the factory horns in case the horns stopped working. I was done spending money on these horns. I eliminated the relay and fuse cable that came with the harness. I connected the horn switch cable to the positive wires of horn, and ran the negative cables to the battery. The horns actually sound loud now.
    That sounds really really weird. Basic DC electrics say something was wrong. Bad connection or something.

Quote Originally Posted by george023 View Post
    My experience with the Hella horns was not a great impression, for a while. I bought the Subimod harness and used their relay. 1 month or so after the install the relay went out. I then installed the relay that came with the horns. That lasted maybe 4 months. The sound was weak compared to what I expected. I had to leave one of the factory horns in case the horns stopped working. I was done spending money on these horns. I eliminated the relay and fuse cable that came with the harness. I connected the horn switch cable to the positive wires of horn, and ran the negative cables to the battery. The horns actually sound loud now.
    Did you buy new or used? There was a bad batch of harnesses that were not wired properly with the type of relay they included. There are diagrams floating around that should show you how it should go. I'm not sure you're getting full power to them if you're using the factory wires.
    '14 SWP STI

I bought them new. I got the whole kit from Subimods.