Plasti-dipped Hood scoop and Rear chrome ugly thing
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Plasti-dipped Hood scoop and Rear chrome ugly thing within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, this is my first foray into plasti-dipping or anything like it. I started with the hood scoop then ...

Plasti-dipped Hood scoop and Rear chrome ugly thing

Hey all, this is my first foray into plasti-dipping or anything like it. I started with the hood scoop then figured I might as well get rid of the hideous rear chrome trim. There are some minor imperfections but not bad for a first job, and they're not noticeable from more than 2 feet anyway so most people will never see them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-05-05_15-56-40_327.jpg  
    Valkyrie (named by the wife), '08 WRX Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Meh, the scoop isn't my kinda thing. Looks like it's just another black ABS plastic piece that they forgot to paint from the factory IMO. But if you like it, that's what counts.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Huh, for some reason, the other 2 images didn't upload.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-05_15-56-46_698.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	147937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-05_15-56-58_681.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	147945

Mikie, I kind of felt the same way at first but the more I saw it, it grew on me. There's also another silver 08 in my area so I wanted it to stand out a bit.

Uh, please ignore the license plate.

I know what you mean. I saw it a bunch on Instagram and it started to grow on me. I think it looks better in person too

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I know what you mean. I saw it a bunch on Instagram and it started to grow on me. I think it looks better in person too

Yeah it definitely does. Btw do you go to the heavnly donut meet often? I think ill make it a regular thing just cause I never have anything to do on a tuesday haha

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Hey all, this is my first foray into plasti-dipping or anything like it. I started with the hood scoop then figured I might as well get rid of the hideous rear chrome trim. There are some minor imperfections but not bad for a first job, and they're not noticeable from more than 2 feet anyway so most people will never see them.

I like it. I can see some of the imperfections but its plasti-dip easy to peel and do again! Nice work for the first time!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I was thinking about doing this on my 2014 white hatch. You guys think black dipping my scoop would look crappy?

I had my scoop done for about a year, I finally took it off and I like it better without.

Oh, and the plasti-dip damaged my paint under the top lip. This may be an area that isn't prepped good from factory or the heat from the engine bay could be a contributor...but nevertheless, it took the paint off.

Plasti-dippers beware, can damage paint!

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    I had my scoop done for about a year, I finally took it off and I like it better without.

Oh, and the plasti-dip damaged my paint under the top lip. This may be an area that isn't prepped good from factory or the heat from the engine bay could be a contributor...but nevertheless, it took the paint off.

I did see that thread and went REALLY light on the underside. It's not exactly highly visible anyway, and this way I should just be able to rub it off with my finger and hopefully that doesn't take the paint off.

The blacked out trim on the back does look good though. The chrome piece was so meh.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The blacked out trim on the back does look good though. The chrome piece was so meh.
    I actively hated it. Lol

Yeah it definitely does. Btw do you go to the heavnly donut meet often? I think ill make it a regular thing just cause I never have anything to do on a tuesday haha
    That was actually my first time. I'm not sure how often they do meets. I do plan on hitting up the naugatuck meet on Thursdays sometime though

Stinkeye member 520

I actively hated it. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post

God I hate chrome

And I knew about plasti dip causing damage to paint. But the scoops also will break down on their own eventually anyway, I've seen it a few times. I plan on either wrapping mine or getting a black painted somewhere in the future

Stinkeye member 520

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.