36 hours of ownership,, idiot opens door into my car

This is a discussion on 36 hours of ownership,, idiot opens door into my car within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, so I have had my 13 dgm wrx with 10k miles for about 36 hours. It was 100% ...

36 hours of ownership,, idiot opens door into my car

Hey guys, so I have had my 13 dgm wrx with 10k miles for about 36 hours. It was 100% perfect spotless and beautiful for 35 of those hours. I just dropped my kid off at kindergarten and while I was in there some idiot opened his door right into the passenger door of my car, at that crease that is sort of in line with the door handle and is below the side mirror. Its probably smaller than the eraser on a pencil, but somehow managed to be deep enough to break through the paint, which being subaru paint, flaked off. I live in washington which means now tons of salty water will end up in there. I searched the forums here and everyone seems to be recommending Dr Colorship but since this is a lot deeper than a rock chip, do any of you have any specific recommendations? I'm going to go insane looking at it and worrying about it causing more paint damage down the road.
    fear is the mind killer

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dam I saw an ad for something that would help in a magazine when I was in the air force. Can't remember the brand but they make a 3 stage kit from bare metal dings to down to primer, small clearcoat or down to the paint but not down to bare metal

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crepitus View Post
    Hey guys, so I have had my 13 dgm wrx with 10k miles for about 36 hours. It was 100% perfect spotless and beautiful for 35 of those hours. I just dropped my kid off at kindergarten and while I was in there some idiot opened his door right into the passenger door of my car, at that crease that is sort of in line with the door handle and is below the side mirror. Its probably smaller than the eraser on a pencil, but somehow managed to be deep enough to break through the paint, which being subaru paint, flaked off. I live in washington which means now tons of salty water will end up in there. I searched the forums here and everyone seems to be recommending Dr Colorship but since this is a lot deeper than a rock chip, do any of you have any specific recommendations? I'm going to go insane looking at it and worrying about it causing more paint damage down the road.
    It is going to cost a ton to get the whole door redone, and I assume you don't want to go that far. If it were me I would get on it quickly. Put a small amount of primer in there and add the touch up paint from subaru OEM over the top. It won't be perfect, but you can do a decent job and it will keep the salt out of there until you can do something (if ever) better.

I Support ClubWRX
    Post pics if you can
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Dam I saw an ad for something that would help in a magazine when I was in the air force. Can't remember the brand but they make a 3 stage kit from bare metal dings to down to primer, small clearcoat or down to the paint but not down to bare metal

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I remember something like this as well. But sadly i think you're going to have it professionally fixed with wet sanding and all.. Or just Plasi-dip the whole car. Seal in the freshness so to speak lol. It does stink though man. I had something like that happen with one of my cars a few years ago. i was livid.

I had something like this happen to my 2014 wrx about a month after I bought the car. A guy dropped his skiies on my car and put a dent and scratches all down it. I made him give me his insurance info and contacted mine. They called up his insurance and I had to go get a writen quote and then his insurance sent me a check. You can make the person pay for it cause they caused damage to you car. But they only thing is that they have to agree they did the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    It is going to cost a ton to get the whole door redone, and I assume you don't want to go that far. If it were me I would get on it quickly. Put a small amount of primer in there and add the touch up paint from subaru OEM over the top. It won't be perfect, but you can do a decent job and it will keep the salt out of there until you can do something (if ever) better.
    +1.

this happened to my gf and she wonders why i park way in the back everytime i go anywhere.... im sorry to hear though, i would be flippin!
    2012 wrx 5 door stage 3 + (traded in)
    2014 sti 4 door 297whp/329wtq stage 2 innovative tuned

Well I took what you guys said and I went and sealed the patch with oem subaru dgm touch up, then I went pure ocd, bought a few clay bars, some good wax and premium micro fiber cloths, and clay bar and waxed the entire car to make myself feel better. It even managed to bring a little gloss into the touch up paint and now its looking good.

imgur: the simple image sharer

(edit): And yes, I now basically calculate which parking spot has the greatest area distance without cars around it and park there no matter how far I have to walk.
    fear is the mind killer

I hate parking

Quote Originally Posted by crepitus View Post
    Well I took what you guys said and I went and sealed the patch with oem subaru dgm touch up, then I went pure ocd, bought a few clay bars, some good wax and premium micro fiber cloths, and clay bar and waxed the entire car to make myself feel better. It even managed to bring a little gloss into the touch up paint and now its looking good.

imgur: the simple image sharer

(edit): And yes, I now basically calculate which parking spot has the greatest area distance without cars around it and park there no matter how far I have to walk.
    That does suck that it happened. Totally understand the OCD, dropped my ratchet installing a strut brace. Three of the teensiest tiny chips and I'm crushed! Just a heads up, careful parking too far away from others in a lot with shopping carts. Those ba$tard$ seem to find the lone cars. Good luck- car looks great.

Lol I know what you mean. They slowly creep through the entire parking lot and hit the one car all by itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    fear is the mind killer