Subaru WRX Forum banner

Help, Hard water stains on brand new 2015 WRX

6K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  1oldman 
#1 ·
I took delivery of a CWP WRX on 4/19/14. A few days later I noticed that there are small water droplet outlines all over my windows (and possibly paint, but it is white and I cannot tell). I did some research and found that these might be hard water stains, and using vinegar can remove them if they aren't too old. I tried that method with no success. This is a brand new car, and I can't imagine how my windows could be so bad already.

Does anyone with a 2015 WRX have this same problem? The spots can only be seen at certain angles and in direct light. I'm thinking that it either rained on the car in Japan before it was put in the shipping container (could all the nuclear waste pouring into the ocean over there cause acid rain?) or it was rained on after it was unloaded in the US. I don't see how else this could have happened and it is very frustrating. If it happened to my car, I have to imagine there are other cars out there with this issue.

I contacted my dealer to ask about it and have them look at it, but have not heard back from them yet. I wish I would have seen this before I purchased the car, but I never even thought to look for something like that. I am afraid my glass is etched and ruined.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
In a "related but not really" anecdote, I had washed and waxed my fiance's white car, and had not properly dried it before waxing. Thus, remaining dirt/water mixed with the solvent in the wax (silicone based wax), and messed up the paint. During the "wax off" stage, there were darkened swirls in the paint which were very visible. Attempts to scrub with soap and water (plenty of elbow grease) did nothing. This was some time last year (spring). Just this past weekend, I used a power-rotary tool and a buffing pad with a very gentle buffing compound, and was able to remove the dark markings. I never thought I'd see the car so white again.

Alternately, a washed car which has not been properly dried will have marks on the glass. Hard water should not actually damage (etch) the glass- just leave marks. A good washing should fix that.

TL: DR - try washing, drying, then buffing the car. Finish with a wax to protect it and then maybe you're good to go.

#4 ·
Check out ammo detailing on youtube. He has great vids on help. Like how to detail ur windows.. Which sounds weird but its crazy hour dirty ur windows and what not get. Best of luck with getting all the spots out. Hope the youtube channel helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I took delivery of a CWP WRX on 4/19/14. A few days later I noticed that there are small water droplet outlines all over my windows (and possibly paint, but it is white and I cannot tell). I did some research and found that these might be hard water stains . . . .

I have sometimes found lemon juice to be effective in removing white stains on the paint from drips in parking garages. I think they are hard water. One garage also used to use Ty-D-Bol toilet bowl cleaner (perhaps diluted). I would be careful with it.

Good luck

#9 ·
The detailer was not able to remove the water drops using either clay or #0000 steel wool (which the dealership recommended I try when I first called them). I am taking the car back to the dealer to be assessed by the service department manager. My last resort may be to try using something like Duragloss Nu Glass, but I don't want to try that just yet.

My hope is that he calls me crazy/stupid and proceeds to easily remove these spots. I hope I'm not being too picky because I feel there is a real problem here, but maybe I am....

#11 ·
I could swear I've seen something about hard water stains as a tsb when I was scrolling through them at work. Didn't think much of it at first since I don't have this problem...but now I can't double check cause we don't have alldata anymore

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
The funny thing is, I have not been able to spot these water marks anywhere on the paint. Granted, my car is white, but the paint feels smooth and I do not see any imperfections in any light.

However, in the engine bay, all of the plastic parts do show water drop marks. I cannot clean these off. I imagine whatever caused them in the glass also caused them in my engine bay. My question is, how did water drops get all over my engine bay....

#15 ·
I was thinking of asking the dealer not to wash my car before I took delivery, but then I figured they wash every car that comes in, so what could it hurt? Maybe that was a critical error.

The car came in on a Friday around 2:00pm and I picked it up at 9:00am on Saturday. I first noticed the spots on Tuesday, but I have to believe they were there when I took delivery as it did not rain between the time I picked it up and Tuesday. The only thing I read that can cause this kind of damage is hydorfluoric acid, which is used by some car washes. I am unsure what method they used to wash my car, but if they sprayed it with acid and then didn't dry the windows, I will be pretty upset. If that is the case, they would never admit it anyway.

I'll see what they have to say on Wednesday and report any interesting findings.

#17 ·
There's been the same thing on some people's wheels. Happened to my stocks. Spray it on but don't spray off and the brake dust settles in streaks under the clearcoat. Probably the same thing but water stains for not wiping it off properly

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
First, sorry if this whole thread is in the wrong section... I just noticed there is a 'Detailing' forum right below this one.

I went back to the car dealer and they took a look and agreed something was wrong with the glass. Of course, they offered no possible causes for this, but I have a hunch their service department sprayed the wrong thing on my car while prepping it. Maybe using wheel cleaner on my glass by mistake... I don't know.

I let them attempt to fix a portion of one window, and the only way they could make the glass clear was by using a light rubbing compound. It seems to have taken away 99.5% of the problem and I'm sure with some more work it could be 100% right. However, I don't trust them to do a perfect job so I will likely go to a professional detailer to work on all of the windows.

This is a brand new car and something wrong happened either in shipping or dealer prep, so I called Subaru of America to inform them of what was going on. The woman on the phone said she was going to follow up with the dealership to get some answers and get back to me.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, and be sure to thoroughly inspect your cars before you drive off the lot! I learned so valuable lessons here.

#20 ·
If u go for a professional detailing, id try to have the guy from AMMMONYC detailing do it. He does the modt exotic and some Seriously expensive cars and take lots of pride in his work! Id trust him and go to him for a project like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Any glass Polish should do the trick. I use one from Griot's that polishes all grime and pits off the windshield. You will need a DA or rotary polisher for best results.
P.S. I also have a 15' WRX and have no pain or water spot problems even though my sprinklers hit my car with hard water. The spots come right off with soap and water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.