To go Mud flaps or not to go Mud flaps?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on To go Mud flaps or not to go Mud flaps? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was considering buying some mud flaps for my 2015 STI LE when it comes in. Are they necessary when ...

Cee

To go Mud flaps or not to go Mud flaps?

I was considering buying some mud flaps for my 2015 STI LE when it comes in. Are they necessary when driving on gravel/dirt roads? Will it save my car a lot of paint chips? Do they have an impact on gas mileage or cause any issues?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you dont want to spend the money of Rally Armors you can try to fab up a set from flexable IKEA cutting boards. Subaru isnt know for having the most durable paint also im sure they couldn't hurt.
    Im not sure about the impact on gas mileage maybe you can ask the Mythbusters also im wondering if they make more splash back when driving in the rain.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Cee
    Are Rally Armor the best? Do you know of any alternatives? I don't mind spending the money if they're worth it. That's why I went STI instead of Focus

Cee
    I found this post on Yahoo Answers that solves the gas mileage question:

This is a good question. And the answer is simple, yet complex. As the Mythbusters showed, a tailgate being down actually DECREASES gas mileage, by about 1-2 MPG. The air cycles around and ends up PUSHING on the cab, and creating a partial counter to drag, but the tailgate open allows that air to just rush out, and it will not cycle back into the cab. The concept is similar to a mudflap, they are close enough to the wheel/tire, that most of the time, they won't produce any drag at all, except as measurable on a microscopic level. It won't affect your mileage in any way, especially not that you'd notice. Yeah, you might go from 26.2857394702 MPG to 26.2857394701 MPG, but that's less than a penny more at the pump. You'd have to fill up more than 1,000,000 times to pay even a penny or two more.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yes. They are very good at keeping debris at bay. They're mudflaps after all. Your car will be cleaner etc and I would consider it a must driving through gravel, some regions have their rallycross events on a gravel bed.

Rally amour are pretty much the best you can get for the price. An excellent value in my opinion. It would cost you more to fabricate your own out of the same material and buy hardware for them than it would for you to just buy rally armour already made and ready to go with hardware.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    rally mud flaps - RokBlokz Rally Mud Flaps, mudflaps

But being a new car you may have to wait a while for others to come out Rally Armor is the most popular.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Cee
    Rally Armor doesn't currently sell flaps for the 2015 STI. I'll have to reach out to them for an ETA on their release. It doesn't look like RokBlokz sells them either yet. Are these things screwed right into the body of the car? Seems like they should fit the 2015 as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a metal bracket that they attack to which then attaches to the car. Put yourself on the Rally Armor notification list

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Also you have to look at the different lengths of the mud flaps. I believer there are two different options.

On my last few cars I've personally used flapatax, gorilla, and DRT. DRT was by far the best, but also the most expensive. Comparing the DRT to friends who have Rally Armor on the same car other than getting to choose colors with RA. I think DRT is better. Mounting hardware is top notch and they are thicker so flap around less than RA.
    Flapatax and Gorilla are both hard material. Gorilla is leaps and bounds better then flapatax. I know lots of people swear by them, and if you are on a budget they work well, but the hardware sucks compared to the others and the material isn't as nice. Also, they were not drilled properly and I had to make adjustments

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Have the RAs. You really cannot go wrong. After 4 years they still look like new. No warping or anything.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I went with some mudflaps as the first thing I purchased. I really like how the extend out past the wheel wells with the wide body cars to help with keeping rocks, salt, sand etc... at bay.

I personally bought a set of RokBlokz. I'm very satisfied with them. I like how they aren't shiny nor do they flap around while driving. I do have to say though, even with a stock ride height car, the "standard length" flaps are long. I find I hear them scraping over speed bumps and some big dips in the road if I'm cruising.

However, despite this, all the hardware is still tight (been on for three weeks) and nothing has moved after plenty of triple digit runs and my amatuer rally runs down some dirt roads. Nothing is more satisfying than hearing all of those little rocks bounce off of the mud flaps instead of my paint.

+1 rokblokz. Consider getting the lowered car option, even if your car is not lowered. I got the full length ones, they scrape when you corner... Gets pretty annoying.

I Support ClubWRX
    The sound of CRAP hitting your NEW PAINT like #6 shotgun pellets will drive you nuts in under 20 seconds. Get the flaps.

I'm definitely pro mudflap. The difference after some rain is pretty noticeable with nothing being tossed down the side of your car. I have also had to change the way I get into my driveway because of the length of my RB's.
    2014 DGM Sedan

Stink Eye Mob #228

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.