TO PLASTI-DIP OR NOT.... THAT IS THE QUESTION?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on TO PLASTI-DIP OR NOT.... THAT IS THE QUESTION? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; SO as the title states. I'm in the debate of Plasti-dipping my wheels just for a cheap change of appearance. ...

TO PLASTI-DIP OR NOT.... THAT IS THE QUESTION?

SO as the title states. I'm in the debate of Plasti-dipping my wheels just for a cheap change of appearance. Like some of you may know (as in you have seen some of my silly threads and me blathering on and on about how i want to MOD my subie) I have recently purchased a house and I am strapped for cash for the next couple months until my next bonus comes in. SO i was just wondering what the friendly Subie fans had in mind about my thoughts on Plasti-Dip? It seems like a simple and inexpensive task. So whatcha think? Has anyone done their wheels? If so how was it? Would you recommend it? Good? Bad? Otherwise? Let me Know...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    blaze orange.

NIce... Have you had to do much maintain its appearance? Has it chipped or faded over time?

That was your color suggestion.

I'm not really a big fan of plasti-dip myself.

I Support ClubWRX
    What color is your car? Good thing about plasti-dip is it's easy to apply and if it ever get damaged you can just do it again for cheap. You don't like it or get tired of it just peel it off. Go for it. You don't have much to lose.

I didn't apply enough coats so mine has flaked a little in some very small spots. It is simple, it is inexpensive, it sucks when you accidentally touch it when its wet but when its done right it is great stuff. If you're skeptical find dipyourcar on youtube and watch the earlier videos. Tons of info and instructions. They also show when a new color is released which is I mainly subscribed to them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Plasti Dip doest really chip (tss tss) it may tear a little but nothing major. I have blacked dipped parts on my exterior and so far holding up well. You can always buy the a can black dip at Lowes ore Home Depot and mess around with it. I have seen more colors available at PepBoys including the Blaze Metalizers Gallon Buckets but if you really want the most choices go to DipYourCar and check out their vids.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Blaze colors

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    What color is your car? Good thing about plasti-dip is it's easy to apply and if it ever get damaged you can just do it again for cheap. You don't like it or get tired of it just peel it off. Go for it. You don't have much to lose.
    this is what i was thinking....

Thanks guys for the input. i also feel its a good cheap and fun idea to make your car stand out from the crowd... Or at least until i get some BBS or some other sexy wheel.... In the meantime Plasti-Dip it is and i'll check out the youtube site you quoted and see where i go from there.... When i get the extra time i'll post more about what i did and how it went with some pics..

AS per my car color: it's Plasma Blue

HAHAH so yeah my car is Plasma Blue and i was just going to keep it simple with a WHite Wheel and possibly badges and then under the hood do red accents on the plastics ( alternater cover, CAI, Intercooler shroud etc.) just to change it up a bit. Obviously all the red accents would be upgraded parts not just painting the OEM stuff...

I Support ClubWRX
    I've messed with it a bit (exhaust finishers) but it looked too obvious and came out darker than I thought it would. It's OK from a distance and on most web pictures, but up close, let's face it it doesn't look pro. The cool thing when I peeled it off (must be THICK to peel) my finishers look even better than virgin (moral - the dip kept them from scratching)

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    I've messed with it a bit (exhaust finishers) but it looked too obvious and came out darker than I thought it would. It's OK from a distance and on most web pictures, but up close, let's face it it doesn't look pro. The cool thing when I peeled it off (must be THICK to peel) my finishers look even better than virgin (moral - the dip kept them from scratching)
    How much paint would you say you used when you say "thick"?

I Support ClubWRX
    5 or 6 coats, at least. Follow the instructions, but put it on heavy. I mean not crazy to the point of sagging, but multiple decent coats.

I think it does what it needs to do just fine 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    5 or 6 coats, at least. Follow the instructions, but put it on heavy. I mean not crazy to the point of sagging, but multiple decent coats.
    thanks buddy... Will do!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast