TO PLASTI-DIP OR NOT.... THAT IS THE QUESTION? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on TO PLASTI-DIP OR NOT.... THAT IS THE QUESTION? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by dan5505 Did you decide to plasti-dip? I plasti-dipped black a couple weeks ago. Its holding up great ...

Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    Did you decide to plasti-dip? I plasti-dipped black a couple weeks ago. Its holding up great so far. I like the matte texture better than the original painted finish.

Yes. I finally decided to but i am waiting until my house is finished being built so i can do it in my garage. If i tried now i would have to do it in the street. I don't want to visit the hospital because i got run over while plasti-dipping LOL. In about 2 months i'll have my dipped wheels up here.
    BTW your wheels look great. i really like the matte finish against the gloss finish of the car.

Double Guns cflip2x

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would go the Plasti Dip route if you dont plan on powdercoating. Painting is ok but then it wont hold up for the amount of prep work and cost of paint. I would rather go with plasti dip. I repainted my wheels and for now they look good but that will last for only so long. I would like to see the metallic dip colors in person but the good thing is its becoming more popular and they have a wider selection of dip available at stores.

Bright colors dont look that bad on dark cars but then people might be GREEN with envy
    double guns FAWK YEAH
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

^^^^ LOL .. Yeah i was thinking of doing the blaze orange on my Plasma blue... but my color choices are still being thrown about in my head. i may just do different color per wheel and then choose my favorite. Black and green always goes together!!! I'm also shocked seeing the early model wry wheels on the there!! Aren't those 16's?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup 16"s fit. its probably a winter set up. I have 16" steelies for the winter im sure you can relate being in TX:P . I even think some of the 15" rally wheels will work with our cars.
    Check the dipyourcar forums and see what combos people use to make different color shades like if they use a black white or other color base to mix things up.

As for paining your headlights its really not difficult scary but very easy. There are more then enough threads about HID retrofits that you can view for guides to open your headlights.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Yeah i was actually thinking about going to a junkyard and picking up a headlight and do a dry run and see how it comes out. Yeah i'm summer tires year 'round down here. I will take a look at the forums and see what options are out there. I have been watching all the DIY reviews on youtube about dip your car. fun stuff

Ive always been a fan of blacked out rims. Its overdone these days but it still looks good imo

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm going to PlastiDip Bomb can my winter alloys white.

Cee
    How hard is it to reverse the effects of the PlastiDip? Does it simply peel off? Does it leave any residue or affect the underlying rim color/shine? If not, that's bad ass!

It peels right off regardless of how it's put on. Granted though the more coats the easier it's is to remove.
    Also as far as drying goes it's best to wait until it's tacky but not completely dry to put another coat on. It does take a out 4 hours to be completely cured though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Plastidip is never the answer.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cee View Post
    How hard is it to reverse the effects of the PlastiDip? Does it simply peel off? Does it leave any residue or affect the underlying rim color/shine? If not, that's bad ass!
    If you put it on thick enough it peels right off. Fun and easy.

If the surface is clean, it peels right off and nice and clean underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Plastidip is never the answer.
    Could you elaborate please?

I wouldn't say it isn't the answer.... Its really a temporary thing. It's great for people who have a problem with commitment or are indecisive on a color. It's also because it has a rubbery or Plasti(c) texture. I personally feel Plasti-dip is a great idea to make your car stand-out with little expense and little commitment since its a removable paint. I have researched it and as long as you take your time with plasti-dip it comes out well.

MTM
    I use plasti dip before I commit to a color with powder. However some people pay others to put it on and act like its a real paint job.. I find that humorous

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    Could you elaborate please?
    While occasionally it's done correctly, plastidip is generally applied in haste by drunk teenagers. The vast majority of plastidip jobs are awful. TBH, it's the modern-day equivalent to spray paint, although it does have the benefit of being [somewhat] reversible.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.