DETINTING TailLights

This is a discussion on DETINTING TailLights within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought this car with the TailLights already Tinted. At first i thought it was cool but came to the ...

DETINTING TailLights

I bought this car with the TailLights already Tinted. At first i thought it was cool but came to the realization that they looked pretty crappy, almost dirty even, and am hopping to take it off and return them to the oem look.

I have never delt with anykind of tinting before so i do not know if it was baked, vinyled, or however many ways it can be darkened.

If anyone could help me find out how to remove it, and the condensation lingering inside too I'd greatly Appreciate it

Here are a couple pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140404_191118.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	142649

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140404_191126.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	142657

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I used nail polish remover in the past then one of those lens cleaning kits to try to shine them up again and get them to look as close to new as I could

Quote Originally Posted by Steers View Post
    I used nail polish remover in the past then one of those lens cleaning kits to try to shine them up again and get them to look as close to new as I could
    Be warned, though, whenever I used any kind of partly good solvent for a plastic surface to clean it in the lab the surface usually swells and roughens quite a bit. Hence the previous post saying to use the lens cleaning kit afterwards. I have no experience removing tint, but perhaps an alternate route would be to go straight to using the lens cleaning kit, since the first step is an abrasive scrub (this may, when accompanied with a lot of elbow grease, allow you to scrub off the thin tint layer).
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I would try a lens cleaning kit (as suggested above)...I am willing to bet it would do the job. They come with various grits of fine sandpaper and you basically sand off a layer of the lens, working your way to the finest grit to polish the lens. Then you finish with some type of sealant/polish. They work very well.

to get rid of the condensation you can bake the light, open it up and wipe it off. if the tint is on the inside of the clear lense (which i dont think so) then just wipe off the inside of the lense. no need to refinish or use a lense cleaning kit inside the light. you do that on the outside section. the lower half of the taillight id repaint black. it looks smoked now but black willl give it more contrast and i think youll be happy with it. just prep that lower section well before you paint it. otherwise get new lights or can always just paint the lower half silver close to stock looking
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Alright i just got finished removing the head lights. I removed some bolts on the condensating light and was able to just tilt it and remove a quite a bit of water that was encomposed within.

Now from what you guys have said im gonna go out and get myself some a lens cleaner kit. Is their one i should get in particular or just shoot and hope for the best. Also i head laquer thinner does the trick to, i have some laying around but im not to confident that itll actually work. Any input on that.