Plasti-dippers beware, can damage paint!

This is a discussion on Plasti-dippers beware, can damage paint! within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So about a year ago I plasti-dipped my hood scoop on my 2010 wrx. Yesterday I finally decided to pull ...

Plasti-dippers beware, can damage paint!

So about a year ago I plasti-dipped my hood scoop on my 2010 wrx. Yesterday I finally decided to pull it off. It pulled off fine, in a large sheet. However, I noticed silver coming up when removing it from the inside top of the scoop...

Thankfully most of the damage is out of normal view, but I'm still going to have to touch it up sadly.

Thought I'd share this to save someone else any issues. It may have just been the pain was thin, I've never had an issue in the past.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    So about a year ago I plasti-dipped my hood scoop on my 2010 wrx. Yesterday I finally decided to pull it off. It pulled off fine, in a large sheet. However, I noticed silver coming up when removing it from the inside top of the scoop...

Thankfully most of the damage is out of normal view, but I'm still going to have to touch it up sadly.

Thought I'd share this to save someone else any issues. It may have just been the pain was thin, I've never had an issue in the past.
    Weird. Never Plasti dipped a subaru but I have dipped plenty of other cars and never seen that happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Surfandskim92 View Post
    Weird. Never Plasti dipped a subaru but I have dipped plenty of other cars and never seen that happen

It surprised me, especially this being the factory paint in like new condition. I did my emblems and spoiler as well. I have redone it, and when I peeled it it was fine. Though this is concerning about doing it to anything else in the future.

I found a thread where a chemical in plasti-dip is debated. It's a paint thinner, but the debate was whether it would damage clear coat after being applied for a long period. Fonzie from dip you car denied any chance of damage, but he has a business at risk....so I can't believe his side whole heartedly.

But the fact remains...It pulled up paint off my factory paint job...

We'll fonzie must just be covering that up for his business sake

Quote Originally Posted by Surfandskim92 View Post
    We'll fonzie must just be covering that up for his business sake

It's very possible. Whether he's being truthful or not, he has an alternative motive.

http://m.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=663467

Here's the link to the thread discussing the chemicals in plasti-dip. It's interesting, and whether there is a potential issue with plasti-dip...It's definitely worth looking into.

I'm gonna say this is the fault of both Subaru and dip.
    The paint there is one of the thinnest spots and tapers off. This is why you haven't seen it elsewhere. The spot also isn't prepped as well more than likely. We all know that Subaru sucks at paint jobs. Also the base coat came off, not just clear, so I'm calling it an adhesion problem with the base coat. Plasti dip chemicals did not do that.

Had you have never dipped it though, you prolly would never have known how fragile that spot was to lifting.

Dips fault-20%
    Subarus fault-70%
    Your fault-10%....... Just trying to be fair
    Randy-
    2011 WRX limited
    02 blaze Wrx-sold
    04 Wrx pos- sold
    99 forester
    People say I'm like the girl next door,
    Y'all must have some really weird neighbors-Kelly Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
    I'm gonna say this is the fault of both Subaru and dip.
    The paint there is one of the thinnest spots and tapers off. This is why you haven't seen it elsewhere. The spot also isn't prepped as well more than likely. We all know that Subaru sucks at paint jobs. Also the base coat came off, not just clear, so I'm calling it an adhesion problem with the base coat. Plasti dip chemicals did not do that.

Had you have never dipped it though, you prolly would never have known how fragile that spot was to lifting.

Dips fault-20%
    Subarus fault-70%
    Your fault-10%....... Just trying to be fair
    I agree with you, I noticed when touching it up today that it was completely removed, not just to the primer.

I still plan on doing my wheels at some point, I know the paint there shouldnt have any problems. I've never had issues with removing plasti-dip until now. I can't help but be a little uneasy about the process now lol.

strange, i dipped my whole acura, no problems

I'm willing to bet on a corner like that, it doesn't get sprayed as heavily as a flat spot on a car from the factory...so its going to be thinner and easier to come off with any chemical applied really.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I would like to add that alot of heat generally exists through hood scoop after the car is shut off. Maybe it has involvement too.