Exhaust mods and blowoff valve?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Exhaust mods and blowoff valve? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What's going on guys/girls? I'm new to the site and new to my 2014 wrx hatch. Looking for some tips/tricks ...

What's going on guys/girls? I'm new to the site and new to my 2014 wrx hatch. Looking for some tips/tricks to give my wrx some sound without spending $800 on a dual exhaust right now. Also I love the blowoff valve sound, any recommendations for that as well would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I went to a small muffler shop and had them weld up some straight pipe for an axle back muffler delete for $60. I like the sound, and it really isn't all that loud. Cruising at 3000 rpms without a radio would be annoying, but that's why I have a radio
    http://youtu.be/lUu822HJsOg

General consensus is BOV isn't good for your car

So you just eliminated the mufflers? Basically straight pipes now?

Quote Originally Posted by 2014Rexy View Post
    So you just eliminated the mufflers? Basically straight pipes now?
    Yes, but it still has the factory resonator on the mid pipe. So it's not as loud as you may think. Pretty sure there are after market cat back systems louder than this. I could always make it louder by eliminating the resonator

Op, do some research. You can buy a nice axleback exhaust from a reputible company for way under 800 dollars. Then later on down the road if you decide to go stage 2 all you will need the mid pipe and downpipe. Look into these brands" invidia, nameless, perrin just to name a few. And as far as the blow off goes. DO NOT buy a blow off valve for our cars. It is bad news and can lead to problems.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Hmm, something to think about. Thanks!

Awesome I will look into those companies. And ok that sums up the blow off valve I'm not touching one lol. Appreciate it thanks!

Last edited by WRX-maniac; 03-16-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I'm a big fan of the Perrin Sound for the Axle back quad outlet exhaust and i think its around the $500 mark with a simple install.

If you want to get more sound from your turbo, just a short ram intake. Again, there is nothing wrong with the intake system already on your car. But an aftermarket one will increase the sound.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye26 View Post
    If you want to get more sound from your turbo, just a short ram intake. Again, there is nothing wrong with the intake system already on your car. But an aftermarket one will increase the sound.
    This will increase the "whooshing" sound. Just make sure you tune properly for this. Your car is tuned for your stock intake, so if you put an aftermarket one on, then factor in the cost of tuning.

As far as exhaust, I would do a catback system. A little more expensive, but if you want to continue to mod (which I have a hunch you will), then you just replace the downpipe and you can go stage 2. Lots of good brands out there...Invidia, Turboxs, Nameless, Perrin, COBB, etc, etc. Try and get to some meets to hear them in person. Youtube gives you a decent idea, but nothing like hearing it in person.

If you do ever do your BOV, don't do an atmospheric. Keep it a recirculating BPV (By Pass Valve). Our cars don't take well to atmospheric BOV's, as they create rich conditions (simply put you are releasing metered air - really due to our mass airflow system design). Your stock BPV will be good until you start getting up over 18-19 PSI of boost.

This is a good read if you haven't already found it ---->First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post
    Yes, but it still has the factory resonator on the mid pipe. So it's not as loud as you may think. Pretty sure there are after market cat back systems louder than this. I could always make it louder by eliminating the resonator
    Yeah, but this man lives in TN

SO, OP you might want to familiarize yourself with local laws and police tendencies before you go with straight pipes. Fair warning lol.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.