Light Bar Install

This is a discussion on Light Bar Install within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been wanting a lightbar for my WRX for some time now now but most of the options on the ...

Light Bar Install

I've been wanting a lightbar for my WRX for some time now now but most of the options on the market were either too big to fit behind the grill (there is only about 2" clearance) or would require me to do some major mods to the lower hole, which I was not wanting to do. Putco came out to the shop a few weeks back and introduced me to their 20" LED bar that was only about an inch thick and would fit perfectly behind the grill. I was able to mount this bar behind the grill using slightly modified mounts that came with the bar, to factory bolt locations that support the AC condenser. The only thing I had to do to complete the installation was to extend out the switch lead a few feet to allow me to mount the switch in the location I had selected. For it's small and compact size the bar puts out a good amount of light. I went out on some local dark and twisty roads and defiantly felt more confident driving due to my new found increased visibility.

I chose behind the factory grill for my install location. I was able to use the supplied brackets in factory bolt locations for the install.

Clearance behind the grill was tight, a slight bend on the supplied bracket was made to allow for clearance.

Finished Product

Before and afters (DDM 5K hids on lows)

Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2004 WRX. No Kittys, Cobb AP
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    How much was the light bar?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    That's pretty sweet. Do you have pics with the lights on facing the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    How much was the light bar?
    I want to say it retails for like $315

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    That's pretty sweet. Do you have pics with the lights on facing the car?
    Just a crappy one with my cell phone.. lol
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Exactly what I was after, looks mean! Although, $300 I couldn't justify to myself or afford I'm too cheap to replace my fog lights lol.

Yeah the $300 is kinda hard for some people to bite. BUUT its cheaper then some of the other options on the market by about half and is small enough to fit behind the grill, the other more expensive options wont fit.
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

Holy hell its a giant blob of light coming from the grill. That's pretty badass though. I dig it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like a funny clown.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

lol.. yeah..

I need to get better night time pics but the damn snow and rain keep killing my plans.
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

If that doesn't make granny doing 50 mph in the left lane move over, i don't know what will

haha. maybe ill get to test that theory one night.
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

That is really awesome. Around here, there are deer everywhere and I hate not being able to see beyond the sides of the road itself. That thing looks like it throws out a TON of light.

Can you point me to the specific make and model? Also, how is it hooked up? Only to the high beams, or does it come on with the fog switch?

Its a Putco 10020 Luminix bar. Right now its just wired up with the supplied switch. Im debating tapping it into the fog light switch or not.
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp