items needed for roof rack?
Results 1 to 11 of 11

This is a discussion on items needed for roof rack? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have never had a roof rack and I don't really know what I need to buy. I currently want ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    7

    items needed for roof rack?

    I have never had a roof rack and I don't really know what I need to buy. I currently want just the base roof rack for looks and maybe I'll use it in the future.
    What do I need to buy and where can I find good pricing?

    2013 WRX BASE WAGON
    Last edited by NJ2014; 02-24-2014 at 07:27 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,755
    I Support ClubWRX
    What year car do you have? The newer gens you can attach the racks right to the top. The older gens you need to use "boots" that attach to the car above the doors. Depending on the generation you have we can give you a little more helpful information.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    What year car do you have? The newer gens you can attach the racks right to the top. The older gens you need to use "boots" that attach to the car above the doors. Depending on the generation you have we can give you a little more helpful information.
    2013 WRX BASE WAGON. I have the 4 black spots ontop of the roof.

  5. #4
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,755
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ2014 View Post
    2013 WRX BASE WAGON. I have the 4 black spots ontop of the roof.
    So you have options of various brands. I have always liked Thule. You can order them in many places. You will want a "fit kit," which includes the parts to connect the rack to your car (the black things on top of your car flip open and you can screw the fit kit in there). Then you will want the "boots," which are the stands that the rack attaches to. Then you will want crossbars. I also have always liked to have the wind fairing, as it looks better and...you guessed it...cuts down the wind. There are upgraded or basic parts...for example, the "aero" bars and boots are more aerodynamic, but also more expensive. The attachments are endless (i.e. snowboard, kayak, surfboards, etc.).

    You could also get an OEM rack, but those are overpriced in my opinion for the quality.

    Just my opinion. Good luck!

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    So you have options of various brands. I have always liked Thule. You can order them in many places. You will want a "fit kit," which includes the parts to connect the rack to your car (the black things on top of your car flip open and you can screw the fit kit in there). Then you will want the "boots," which are the stands that the rack attaches to. Then you will want crossbars. I also have always liked to have the wind fairing, as it looks better and...you guessed it...cuts down the wind. There are upgraded or basic parts...for example, the "aero" bars and boots are more aerodynamic, but also more expensive. The attachments are endless (i.e. snowboard, kayak, surfboards, etc.).

    You could also get an OEM rack, but those are overpriced in my opinion for the quality.

    Just my opinion. Good luck!
    What's a good website to order from? Thanks.

  7. #6
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,755
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ2014 View Post
    What's a good website to order from? Thanks.
    I would just do a google search to see what you can find for the cheapest. I have always gone through the L.L. Bean website, but that is just because I am a Mainer and they are local to me. If you live near an E.M.S., or REI they carry them too. There are probably a ton of other sites out there that carry them too. You could also go to the Thule.com website and I think they have a location/vendor listing.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I would just do a google search to see what you can find for the cheapest. I have always gone through the L.L. Bean website, but that is just because I am a Mainer and they are local to me. If you live near an E.M.S., or REI they carry them too. There are probably a ton of other sites out there that carry them too. You could also go to the Thule.com website and I think they have a location/vendor listing.
    If I get the fairing, does it make sense to get the aero dynamic bars? or just get the regular ones? I like the regular ones because they are black. What do you think?

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    7
    Thule 460 Podium Fixpoint Foot
    $194.95

    Thule 871XT Fairing
    $99.95

    Thule Podium Fit Kit 3068
    $89.95

    Thule LB50 50 Inch Load Bars
    $99.95

    Order Subtotal
    $484.80

    from Roof Racks at Rack Attack - Thule Rack, Yakima Rack: bike, ski, kayak, cargo

    wow thats expensive for just the base!

  10. #9
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,755
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ2014 View Post
    If I get the fairing, does it make sense to get the aero dynamic bars? or just get the regular ones? I like the regular ones because they are black. What do you think?
    I personally have always gone with the regular bars too. I liked the look of them better as well. The aero bars will probably cut down on the wind noise a little (there will be some no matter what you do), but not dramatically in my experience. I would say for the money savings alone I would just go with the squared (black) bars. Plus you have a better chance of getting some used attachments that fit them with those bars as many more people use those. Also, the fairing is an "extra," that you could always buy later, but I just like the look of them. All preference

  11. #10
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,755
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ2014 View Post
    Thule 460 Podium Fixpoint Foot
    $194.95

    Thule 871XT Fairing
    $99.95

    Thule Podium Fit Kit 3068
    $89.95

    Thule LB50 50 Inch Load Bars
    $99.95

    Order Subtotal
    $484.80

    from Roof Racks at Rack Attack - Thule Rack, Yakima Rack: bike, ski, kayak, cargo

    wow thats expensive for just the base!
    Yup, definitely not cheap items. Plus Thule is one of the best names in racks (not talking bewbs here), so you could shop around for other brands too (yakama is good too).

  12. #11
    Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ2014 View Post
    Thule 460 Podium Fixpoint Foot
    $194.95

    Thule 871XT Fairing
    $99.95

    Thule Podium Fit Kit 3068
    $89.95

    Thule LB50 50 Inch Load Bars
    $99.95

    Order Subtotal
    $484.80

    from Roof Racks at Rack Attack - Thule Rack, Yakima Rack: bike, ski, kayak, cargo

    wow thats expensive for just the base!
    Agreed, I got an OEM for "free" when I purchased my car, but the 400+ you found vs the Subaru OEM price of $158 isn seems very high.
    https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...oducts_id=1309

    so far, I have no complaints for the stock, but will eventually switch over to a yakima.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •