Cat/Axel back exhaust

This is a discussion on Cat/Axel back exhaust within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I wound up recently purchasing an 02 wrx sedan, a big bump up from my old car ( a ...

Cat/Axel back exhaust

So I wound up recently purchasing an 02 wrx sedan, a big bump up from my old car ( a 1987 Porsche 944S ) AND I'M FED UP WITH SUCH A QUIET CAR!!!!! I had a 3" pipe with a big ol' Borla on the 944, I had no clue what road noise was, all I heard all day everyday was my exhaust, and I miss that SO MUCH! The thing is, I don't have the green to make a nice catback exhaust appear, and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative for more noise.

SO! I've not spent a lot of time looking around. But on average it looks like I'll be spending upwards of $500. I've looked into straight pipes, but no back pressure is making me steer clear of them. And Ebay is well known to have items expected of a dollar store. Would I be best off by lurking here until a used one pops up? I'm just looking for an affordable ( N1 style preferably) exhaust system for my car that gets it away from that god awful stock sound. THANKS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i rocked an ebay exhaust for many many years and didnt have any problems with it. i did notice that a name brand high quality droned a lot less

i would either go ebay or wait to find a cheap used one

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Wait for a good used exhaust to come around. Key word being *wait. If you're patient you can find a great deal on a quality piece.

My opinion on ebay exhausts (based on actually owning one for nearly a year). They will not last as long, rust will quickly appear if you live anywhere but in the deep south or the desert. They are all LOUD. They sound horrible at that, when compared to a quality system. Fitment is hit or miss. I would not buy mine again.

I switched to a used JiC Magic exhaust and what a difference. I've also had TurboXS and Magnaflow. They were leaps and bounds above any ebay exhaust I've seen, heard, or owned. Great build quality and much better sounding. I would go for the company that does their own R&D over a company that just makes cheaper copies. You'll feel bad spending the extra up front but will be pleased with it for many years versus spending a little and being displeased for years.