Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX hatch taillight tint removal?

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Strawhead 
#1 ·
Hey guys I recently purchased a 2012 Wrx Hatch and it happened to come with taillights that are tinted. I was wondering if any of you guys know how to remove this tint as easily as possible. I posted a picture below to show you what the taillights look like as of now. Thanks for the help!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

See less See more
#11 ·
Why not trade with someone Im sure it would be easier just make sure to post a lot of pics of how dark the tint is.

#14 ·
thats funny. i just about to ask the same question because the previous owner of my new(not wrx lol) car sprayed the lights and i want it off. i wonder if some elbow grease and one of those 3m headlight polishing kits might be able to take it off. they work wonders on cra&&y headlights, it should. i might give it a try this weekend. if not, no harm done and the taillights will still be dark, just shiny.

#16 ·
Heck ya! I've used six of these kits(I should have been charging lol) and they start with sandpaper! Its kind of scary the first time. If it works...I use a DeWalt drill that plugs into 115 volt. Battery drills don't usually last a hour lol

#20 ·
i also heard gasoline and some elbow grease will take it off.

#22 ·
it looks like nightshades I had this on my civic taillights and needed to have it removed for inspection it took about a half hour with a little bit of laquer thiner on a rag and rubbing it. It wont ruin the tail lights and will make it look almost as good as OEM. You can also try to use gasoline i've seen videos of people removing it with that quite easily. Just remember less is more you want to avoid getting this stuff on your paint so little dabs of it on the cloth will do just fine. It would be much better to do this before you spend a ton of money at a body shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.