Hood Scoop Insert or no?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hood Scoop Insert or no? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. i just bought my 2014 WRX hatch and realized that the scoop has nothing stopping debris from flying ...

Hood Scoop Insert or no?

Hey guys. i just bought my 2014 WRX hatch and realized that the scoop has nothing stopping debris from flying in and smoking my intercooler when i'm enjoying the beauty and speed of my wonderful new car... is this a legitimate concern? should i get a scoop insert? I live in Wisconsin right now where its cold and full of snow and salt, but i'm going to be moving to Arizona in the spring, where its sandy and rocky..

So let me know what everyone thinks.. and if an insert is the way to go, weather it for function or just for looks. i'd love your input.. also any good websites you would recommend that i use when purchasing such an item.

Thanks guys in advance! God Speed!
    2014 Plasma Blue Pearl WRX Limited Hatchback

La Crosse, Wisconsin
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Some people have the grillcraft insert. Some say that it hinders he cooling ability but most run with out it. As long as your not going off road you should be fine.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If it's such a big concern would subaru not have considered it in the design? Well, I think it's safe to assume they *might have since one advantage of a top mount is that it is less prone to damage than say a front mount. It is mounted high on the hood, not many road debris make it up there. Although, there are very likely other better reasons Subaru went with a top mount.

To be honest, I've gotten little rocks and other debris through my hood, but your radiator will be many times more shredded than the intercooler. After nearly 300k miles I've only straightened my fins once. And even then it was only a few rows that needed straightening out. I think you're fine without it and an insert is definitely not a "necessity."

MTM
    Watch out for birds... and cats...

An intercooler is built just like a radiator... How often are you sitting on the side of the road because a rock blasted through your radiator? 17 years driving, I've never had this happen. not saying it can't happen.. Just unlikely.

I had the grillcraft one installed. You can see it in my album. The reason I put it in is I actually had a couple items get sucked into the hole while on the highway. One of which was a large newspaper. It ended up on top of my intercooler and managed to cover about half of it. It was on for 4 years...never had any performance or cooling issues/changes.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Some aftermarket or ebay scoops feature thick mesh at the mouth of the scoop. Not so sure if its more poor scoop/splitter design or the mesh. I've also heard people say that cheap mesh junk (not referencing grillcraft) can decrease the effective airflow. im insure there's some real data floating around somewhere about this. But if you look at almost every production car today, there is no "mesh" covering any radiator/intake openings.

I've had grill craft one on my wrx for about 4 years. I just liked the way it looks.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

<-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've run a grillecraft one on my bugeye for 10+ years,because I like the look,never had a single problem.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Not a fan of them. Search on Nasioc...it's been proven that a grill in the scoop actually blocks upwards of 30% of the air that should be going in. That's a pretty significant drop in cooling performance if you ask me. Not worth it.

For the people that haven't "noticed any problems"...how many of you have datalogged or tested that on a dyno?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Mines been tuned with the scoop insert with hood down and fans blowing into so I'm not concerned.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I briefly considered a grill insert but now from reading this thread, I wont bother. thx

I forgot to say that I do remove it before I race in a school zone. That extra cooling effect makes me a tad bit faster and those kids have no chance.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    I've always been far more concerned with the lower opening on the front of our cars. Nothing has manged to damage that. Yet.

The hood scoop? No worries.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.