Hood Scoop Insert or no? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hood Scoop Insert or no? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ROFL, I hope you're joking, I bought the car with the COBB SF intake already installed....

ROFL, I hope you're joking, I bought the car with the COBB SF intake already installed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No

I saw a guy use 2 bricks & a tarp to cover the hood in a snow storm. I loled.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 03-12-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

care to clarify?

@sonicdrummer- yea and your losing power/tq and getting heatsoak most likely, those intakes are garbage, at least get the box for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sonicdrumm80 View Post
    ROFL, I hope you're joking, I bought the car with the COBB SF intake already installed.
    How's the heatsoak?? Lol at least get the box dude, your losing power with that pos. bet those fins were ****ed when you bought it#used cars

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I can no way back this up Quantitatively, but I would suspect for a short ram intake it would be better on intake temps to leave it open than to put a big metal box around it...remember, metals are conductors.

Who knows how much radiant heat that box is actually absorbing and transferring to the intake. Heat soak is not a factor for short ram intakes, unless of course again you are sitting in traffic for long periods at 100deg temps. On the track or moving they are absolutely no problem, just like a radiator; as long as it's moving and there's airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I can no way back this up Quantitatively, but I would suspect for a short ram intake it would be better on intake temps to leave it open than to put a big metal box around it...remember, metals are conductors.

Who knows how much radiant heat that box is actually absorbing and transferring to the intake. Heat soak is not a factor for short ram intakes, unless of course again you are sitting in traffic for long periods at 100deg temps. On the track or moving they are absolutely no problem, just like a radiator; as long as it's moving and there's airflow.
    It's been tested. Cai/sr intakes are jokes, only beneficial if your chasing dyno numbers and above 350hp at the wheels. Stock system is superior otherwise

...Except that wasn't my argument.

Well I think if the box had a negative effect, it would've documented in all the tests, derp

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    ...Except that wasn't my argument.
    If the box conducted "radiant heat" I donk subaru/Sti would mass produce them in their cars, let alone every other manufacturer. Don't you think the engineers would have caught that?? Smartass

The Cobb box will conduct the radiant heat from the engine, it's metal. The stock intake system is plastic, a terrible conductor, so it won't. I was just presenting an idea, no need to be rude.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 03-12-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt troise View Post
    Wtf are you talking about?? Please point out where I went "retard ' I'm not the one that started this thread advocating hood grilles

I already did. Plus your typos and lack of proper punctuation don't help your case. Great post, God bless.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Dude your the rude one. why didn't you say that in the first place instead of leaving a snide remark then??

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I already did. Plus your typos and lack of proper punctuation don't help your case. Great post, God bless.
    Yea forget it, it's cool

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt troise
    It's been tested. Cai/sr intakes are jokes, only beneficial if your chasing dyno numbers and above 350hp at the wheels. Stock system is superior otherwise
    You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast