Hood Scoop Insert or no? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hood Scoop Insert or no? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Side question, does anyone know what happens to metal when it heats up?...

Side question, does anyone know what happens to metal when it heats up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It softens what do i win?

how about a damaged 2012 STi Intercooler...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Side question, does anyone know what happens to metal when it heats up?
    Metals tend to have low ionization energies and low electronegativity...so they are excellent conductors. However, because of this, they can also give heat away just as well (lose entropy). Hence why metals always feel cold. And on something like a heat sink, such as an intercooler, it won't get very "hot" in traffic unless you have removed all your exhaust/turbo heat shields and it's 100 deg outside.

While driving or revving the engine most heat transferred to the intercooler comes from the air compressed by the turbo (willing to bet this is true, Ideal gas law, if not someone is welcome to correct me). It's possible that the intercooler absorbed 'large' amounts of heat from you revving the engine and driving the turbo, although I'm fairly certain the amount of energy needed to make the intercooler malleable is greater than could ever be transferred to the intercooler by compressed air from the turbo or radiant heat from the engine. Unless there was a very 'hot' fire underneath it; hot as the combustion chamber of your engine or the inside of the compressor housing of the turbo or something I don't see the intercooler getting 'softer.'

But the catcher; the fins are already malleable, I highly doubt the heat made the fins any softer than they already were.

I want pics of the hood and front bumper. If road salt was getting all the way up there, I would expect the front of the car to be extremely knicked up.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 03-12-2014 at 07:38 AM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Metals tend to have low ionization energies and low electronegativity...so they are excellent conductors. However, because of this, they can also give heat away just as well (lose entropy). Hence why metals always feel cold. And on something like a heat sink, such as an intercooler, it won't get very "hot" in traffic unless you have removed all your exhaust/turbo heat shields and it's 100 deg outside.

Most heat transferred to the intercooler comes from the air compressed by the turbo (willing to bet this is true, Ideal gas law, if not someone is welcome to correct me). It's possible that the intercooler absorbed 'large' amounts of heat from you revving the engine and driving the turbo, although the amount of energy needed to make the intercooler malleable is greater than could ever be transferred to the intercooler unless there was a very 'hot' fire underneath it; hot as the combustion chamber of your engine or the inside of the compressor housing of the turbo or something.

But the catcher; the fins are already malleable, I highly doubt the heat made the fins any softer than they already were.

I want pics of the hood and front bumper. If road salt was getting all the way up there, I would expect the front of the car to be extremely knicked up.

Just answer the question.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I'll take some pics when I go out for lunch.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post

Just answer the question.
    They get soft. But the heat required to do that is probly much greater than could've been transferred. Parts under the hood don't just heat up to the point where they are malleable unless you have a serious issue. I just wanted to act intelligent

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    They get soft. But the heat required to do that is probly much greater than could've been transferred. Parts under the hood don't just heat up to the point where they are malleable unless you have a serious issue. I just wanted to act intelligent
    There we go!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2012 Subaru WRX STi Winter Damage 2014 - Imgur Here is a gallery including some of the previously posted images, most of which were taken today.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicdrumm80 View Post
    This is an example of the type of rock salt being pushed into my intake, my boot in the picture is a size 11.
    Congratulations...you have the same salt used on your roads as virtually everyone else that lives in a climate subject to winter. I've been driving in this same **** for over 8 years with 3 Subarus...and never had this issue.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I live a little north of you, so I totally believe a salt truck dropping chunks could definitely do that. Can't believe it happened though. Drop back a ways behind them in the future if you can
    '14 SWP STI

check the gallery dude.

definitely will try, this was before I bought my a/s tires, was still rolling on summers... From now on I will make sure to pick the road less travelled.

Damn dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably wouldn't have happened if you left the stock intake/box on, that's what it's for, stop tailgating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast