Hood Scoop Insert or no? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hood Scoop Insert or no? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by sonicdrumm80 Definitely get the insert, if you fear even the slightest that you may encounter any type ...

Quote Originally Posted by sonicdrumm80 View Post
    Definitely get the insert, if you fear even the slightest that you may encounter any type of salt/ice combination. We had a pretty major snowstorm up here in MD and my I/C got wrecked, check in the STI main forum for pictures. Strongly suggest a Grillcraft insert! This is what can happen in one night of bad luck!
    Are you sure that wasn't some punk kid smashing your fins? Or maybe you smashed it up because you needed to convince wife/girlfriend that you need a new intercooler...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I agree 100% with mikie13. The only time those grills are used is on srtusa cars running on crazy gravel rally stages. By putting those grilles on you ruining the whole purpose of the hood scoop, it's like those mustangs with non-functional hood scoops. He did something crazy with his car to have that happen to the intercooler. Subaru designed them to be top mount, those grilles are messing with the functionality, if being open had any adverse affects on the car, subaru would have made them with grill inserts, I think they look crap too personally, that guy had to have done some crazy off road driving for that to happen. I've had a harsh ass winter, salt everywhere and none has gotten in my engine bay, but I clean my engine bay, maybe he doesn't, idk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone put anything over the I/C to protect it? Like smaller mesh screen?
    '14 SWP STI

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    Has anyone put anything over the I/C to protect it? Like smaller mesh screen?
    Protect it?

The mesh will only inhibit airflow, which will have more ill-effects than a few rock-dings here and there.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I know some use screens/etc to protect their IC and I don't judge them but it's definitely not something I would do. IMHO if I was that worried about how the fins look I would buy a different car. If I was that worried about performance being degraded by bent fins, I would buy a fin comb. Restricting air flow to the IC is just not worth it. If you really dig the look though then to each his own.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Also wth kinda rocks could do that?? Or how can they even get up to the hood scoop in everyday street driving?? That's impossible, dude I can't imagine what his front bumper must look like, no way road debris did that, I'm sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Matt troise View Post
    Also wth kinda rocks could do that?? Or how can they even get up to the hood scoop in everyday street driving?? That's impossible, dude I can't imagine what his front bumper must look like, no way road debris did that, I'm sorry

That's kinda what I'm saying. The way ALL the fins are bent in succession like that? It's like someone was in there pushing them down in some way. Salt won't do that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Yea there's no way, plus any kinda debris would just lay in top and when you wash your car or it rains it gets sprayed off

The only way salt could do that is if you didn't wash the car from January to August, I could maybe see salt/debris sitting on it for months and causing something similair to that but not to that extreme, I could understand some clogging, but them ****s are straight up and down bent son

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about air flow. I drove around with one for years with no ill-effects. The air is not getting cut off because the holes are throughout the entire scoop on the grill. It would be different if one side was completely blocked or something or it was solid in the middle. The air will simply be more concentrated in smaller areas. I work for a wiper company (not going to say who), but we have environment chambers and air flow testers. A simple fog test will even show you any differences (extremely negligible in this case). Relax, protect your IC, and don't stress about it. If my heavy lead foot driving in 100 degree weather with 99% humidity doesn't cause any out of range heat issues for several years...I'm sure you're fine.
    You have not addressed my previously posed question from your last comment...
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin
    Not on a Dyno, but I did do some logs in various temperatures throughout the year. I couldn't find anything indicating cooling changes because this was also a concern of mine. My tuner looked over them and said 'good to go'.
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    What were you logging to test "cooling changes"? You would have to have pre- and post-I/C temperature sensors and do back-to-back (grill on / grill off) testing to see the effect of the cooling. Standard IAT will tell you nothing about the effect of a grill in the hood scoop, as that's measured at the MAF sensor, well before the TMIC is taken into account.
    Again, the only scientific test is to have pre-/post-IC temperature probes, and do a back-to-back test with the grill on and the grill off. You would then be able to determine a delta value which determines intercooler efficiency, and could compare the data with and without the grill. Until you can provide that, your "experience", respectfully, is meaningless. Scientific data > individual opinion on this one.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Just get a stronger intercooler....ha!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Definitely wouldn't do that, I'm still paying for this car, and I dont have the cash to pay for this. I suspect heat soak might have had something to do with this as I was trapped in traffic and was revving motor in first gear to keep moving. This was in the snowstorm we had last month up here in D.C.

What does the rest of the car look like....are you running no hood scoop or something? Haha nothing about that makes any sense...why would heat soak cause that?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

rest of the car is fine, the reason I say heat soak is because I was stuck for 2 hours with no f/i, I was idling for 2 hours and kept getting stuck with summer tires, and a lot of the time I was hitting redline trying to gain traction.

I Support ClubWRX
    Was this the first time you really looked at your IC? It's more likely 2 years worth of debris bending your fins rather than 2 hours of being stuck in snow. Nonetheless, if money is of concern and replacing the IC is out of the question then take her out, clean her, and then straighten the fins.

Intercooler Fin Repair?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast