Hood Scoop Insert or no? - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hood Scoop Insert or no? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yeah I wanted to get the grill craft for that opening but it appeared that I had to remove the ...

Yeah I wanted to get the grill craft for that opening but it appeared that I had to remove the bumper to install it so I didn't get it.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Yeah I wanted to get the grill craft for that opening but it appeared that I had to remove the bumper to install it so I didn't get it.
    Didn't like that as it is mounted up front. Subaru should have added something about halfway back to match the upper - where the bumper skin stops. A talented fabricator could whip up something nice.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

excellent feedback. thanks guys that's a huge help... i think the route to take is no insert for the time being unless something drastically changes..
    2014 Plasma Blue Pearl WRX Limited Hatchback

La Crosse, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs_McCoy View Post
    excellent feedback. thanks guys that's a huge help... i think the route to take is no insert for the time being unless something drastically changes..
    Yeah I'm in NJ where we get everything and their mother kicked up off the road and I've never had more than a bent fin or few. That's through 7 total years of Subaru ownership and three different models now.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Not a fan of them. Search on Nasioc...it's been proven that a grill in the scoop actually blocks upwards of 30% of the air that should be going in. That's a pretty significant drop in cooling performance if you ask me. Not worth it.

For the people that haven't "noticed any problems"...how many of you have datalogged or tested that on a dyno?
    Not on a Dyno, but I did do some logs in various temperatures throughout the year. I couldn't find anything indicating cooling changes because this was also a concern of mine. My tuner looked over them and said 'good to go'.

No grill...facepalm

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin
    Not on a Dyno, but I did do some logs in various temperatures throughout the year. I couldn't find anything indicating cooling changes because this was also a concern of mine. My tuner looked over them and said 'good to go'.
    What were you logging to test "cooling changes"? You would have to have pre- and post-I/C temperature sensors and do back-to-back (grill on / grill off) testing to see the effect of the cooling. Standard IAT will tell you nothing about the effect of a grill in the hood scoop, as that's measured at the MAF sensor, well before the TMIC is taken into account.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Haha. I did some searching and decided to take mine out. Plus now when you look in you can see the tmic...so I don't look like a mustang with a fake hood scoop.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Definitely get the insert, if you fear even the slightest that you may encounter any type of salt/ice combination. We had a pretty major snowstorm up here in MD and my I/C got wrecked, check in the STI main forum for pictures. Strongly suggest a Grillcraft insert! This is what can happen in one night of bad luck!
    Last edited by sonicdrumm80; 03-06-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Wow man that is incredible. I have like 800 miles on my car and it's already starting to look similar.
    '14 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by sonicdrumm80 View Post
    Definitely get the insert, if you fear even the slightest that you may encounter any type of salt/ice combination. We had a pretty major snowstorm up here in MD and my I/C got wrecked, check in the STI main forum for pictures. Strongly suggest a Grillcraft insert! This is what can happen in one night of bad luck!
    So HOW did that happen? Were you driving directly behind a salt truck or something???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about air flow. I drove around with one for years with no ill-effects. The air is not getting cut off because the holes are throughout the entire scoop on the grill. It would be different if one side was completely blocked or something or it was solid in the middle. The air will simply be more concentrated in smaller areas. I work for a wiper company (not going to say who), but we have environment chambers and air flow testers. A simple fog test will even show you any differences (extremely negligible in this case). Relax, protect your IC, and don't stress about it. If my heavy lead foot driving in 100 degree weather with 99% humidity doesn't cause any out of range heat issues for several years...I'm sure you're fine.

Dude how the **** did u do that?? Lulz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about air flow. I drove around with one for years with no ill-effects. The air is not getting cut off because the holes are throughout the entire scoop on the grill. It would be different if one side was completely blocked or something or it was solid in the middle. The air will simply be more concentrated in smaller areas. I work for a wiper company (not going to say who), but we have environment chambers and air flow testers. A simple fog test will even show you any differences (extremely negligible in this case). Relax, protect your IC, and don't stress about it. If my heavy lead foot driving in 100 degree weather with 99% humidity doesn't cause any out of range heat issues for several years...I'm sure you're fine.
    I'm sorry but you cannot say that. You don't KNOW if you had any ill-effects or not. More than likely you didn't...but you certainly weren't cooling the intake charge as efficiently as the car was designed to do. That's a fact, based on the fact that upwards of 30% of the air that is supposed to enter the scoop, is no longer getting to the intercooler.

Try blowing throw a tube of some sort with both ends open. Easy, right? Then put a piece of cloth over it (this represents a barrier in your scoop). Then try blowing. You're going to meet resistance and it's going to be more difficult to blow air through the tube. It's the same principle. You are impeding air flow, thus limiting the cooling ability.

How the hell did that happen?? Lulz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.