Stock 02 WRX Exhaust help needed.

This is a discussion on Stock 02 WRX Exhaust help needed. within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a stock 02 WRX and need to get my up pipe replaced so I dont have to worry ...

Stock 02 WRX Exhaust help needed.

I have a stock 02 WRX and need to get my up pipe replaced so I dont have to worry about that dang catalytic converter.

Questions:

1. What are the best up pipes? I've heard of GrimmSpeed, Invidia, and COBB.
    2. Do I need to do anything to my wastegate when I replace the up pipe?
    3. Do I need to do a tune after I replace my up pipe?
    4. Is it ok to just upgrade the up pipe and nothing else?

Thanks for any help and I'm always open for suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Good mod. Any of those uppipes would work. It just depends on where you want to spend your money and what kind of deal you get. You don't need to do anything with your wastegate. You don't need to tune for an uppipe replacement. And yes, you can just do the uppipe and nothing else

what 11blacksti said. also make sure the flange will mate up properly, it should. if its part of a header kit (ie used) it may not. those are all good brands. the flex pipes are easier to install (i used grimmspeed flex) but they traditionally wear out faster (at flex). if you want EWG wait and do it prior to a tune. if not do it asap. I didnt unbolt motor mounts to install mine (its more for getting the stock one with all its heatshield out) but it saves time. Good Luck!

If you do the UP, you will likely need the resistor mod to disable the CEL caused by the EGT sensor that will no longer have a place to connect to. Easy enough to do. Google it.
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-03-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

hey welcome another montanan!

what everybody else said as well. the resistor mod mikey13 was talking about googled will lead you to a page on the clubwrx. seriously enough after the work put into replacing the up pipe the 2$ for a six pack of resistors and ten minutes of work keeps the check engine light off.

i personally went with the grimmspeed up pipe because of the over engineering(regardless of choice id recommend their gaskets. awesome!) but cost was a little bit more. as far as removing it i hope you can get on a lift, preferably a drive on. ramps work tho. try looking up the method of removing the downpipe(needs more gaskets but it worked great for me) and loosening the motor mounts to lift the motor up a bit to remove the factory pipe. a few pics from my install...

my exaust is rusted mostly together so i dropped it as one piece with the lifts center jack(or friends) for help.

the hole i removed mine through. and the back of the turbo..hiya

new vs old and the passenger side heat shield that has to be off for removing the up pipe.

the wastegate arm. dont adjust this....better to leave it be lol.

lousy pic, but the new installed. ive over a year and 17000 miles on it and with the grimmspeed gaskets no leaks or problems with the up pipe either. good luck!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html