Is it illegal to bake my headlights?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Is it illegal to bake my headlights? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm planning on doing a full blackout (including reflectors) of my headlights but I wanted to know if it was ...

Is it illegal to bake my headlights?

I'm planning on doing a full blackout (including reflectors) of my headlights but I wanted to know if it was illegal to do this in California.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    V C Section 24400 Headlamps on Motor Vehicles

CA Codes (veh:24400-24411)

In addition if your lamps no longer meet DOT standards they are illegal anywhere in the US, including of course CA:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?reg=571.108

In each link there are statutes listed; have a look at those etc.

There is (was?) a CA code that stated you cannot make any light modifications beyond DOT and if you do this is not a "fix it" but rather a standing fine plus an administrative fee. I neither remember the specifics nor know how you'd find it other than asking CHP and/or looking up the links above.

So the question is, does modifying a DOT lamp as you suggest violate
    http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/49/VI/A/301/II/30122
    and my best guess is yes, if reflectors are part of the design of the lamp.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 12-11-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldnt completely black out everything may unless you were going to put projectors in the high beams or maybe retrofit a bixenon hid kit with working high beam. Maybe consider painting a few passes with metalcast and see if you would like a dark chrome look.

Ligthwerkz did these

Last edited by cflip2x; 12-11-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

everything is illegal in CA
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Very likely that any tampering is illegal. But who's going to know, even then who will enforce it? Maybe street cops, I don't know.

...Unless you plow into someone at night and kill or seriously injure the person, then there seems a better chance it could come up.

Only 3 ways I see:
    1 - just leave as is from factory: no issues
    2 - just do it in a factory-like manner: LIKELY no issues
    3 - buy factory replacement part in the look you want: no issues

The lightwerkz with it's visible LED lamp could cause trouble...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.