HID on a 2013

This is a discussion on HID on a 2013 within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys just got my 2013 wrx two days ago and want to start my mods already.. I was wondering ...

HID on a 2013

Hey guys just got my 2013 wrx two days ago and want to start my mods already.. I was wondering about hids. I see a lot of threads about retrofitting. Does this need to be done. My last car was a 2011 scion tc with that I just bought a kit from ddm tuning and plugged them in. Is the wrx different?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does it need to be done for them to work, no.. Should it be done, yes. The reason is that halogen projectors function differently than HID projectors, the result of installing HID bulbs into the stock projectors would look fine from your perspective, but would cause potential glaring to oncoming drives. Retrofitting HID projectors will give you that clean cutoff line and ultimately provide a wider and overall better beam pattern. I'm sure you've already been referred to The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications and many will agree, they are one of, if not the best source for a quality retrofit kit.

I Support ClubWRX
    You may want to read this thread there are some pictures of HID bulbs in a Halogen Projector. My view is you have a new car why no do things right.
    2013 vs 2014 HID setup
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL

cflip2x 2012 WRB WRX

So does this also apply to the daytime running lights?

The HID topic has been discussed around here a lot. Search around the forum and you'll find plenty of info.
    I personally don't understand why if HIDs are so important to someone, they wouldn't look for a limited.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by topher01 View Post
    So does this also apply to the daytime running lights?
    the DRL are the High beams but they are powered thought a resistor to dim the lights If you want you can have HID projectors retroiftted into the high beam location. You may also want to read up on HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum to get a better idea what is involved in retrofitting
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL

cflip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Do the H9 swap and be done with it. I now have the best light output of any vehicle I have ever owned
    '14 SWP STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Theretrofitsource.com sells a complete, bolt-in HID retrofit for 3G Imprezas/WRXs. For $370, you get proper HID projector assemblies that are designed to produce a legal beam pattern with HID bulbs, ballasts, a plug-and-play harness, HID bulbs (in a selection of color temperatures) and best of all, laser-cut adaptor brackets that make the whole swap a bolt-in affair, no cutting of your stock reflectors or housings is required.

See here: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...roducts_id=254

In my opinion, this is the most cost-effective and simplest way to do a proper HID retrofit, if you abosolutely have to have HIDs in your car. As stated though, modifying halogen H9 bulbs to fit your H11 low beam sockets will cost you ~$15 total and is a tremendous improvement in light output.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Rambo I have seen your posts on many other threads. love futurama by the way. Do all the retrofit source kits require you to open the head lamps? separate the lens from the housing?