HID's in stock halogen projectors 2013 WRX

This is a discussion on HID's in stock halogen projectors 2013 WRX within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering if anyone has any pics of the light pattern of an HID in the stock projector housing ...

HID's in stock halogen projectors 2013 WRX

I was wondering if anyone has any pics of the light pattern of an HID in the stock projector housing on a 2011-2013 WRX? I've done a search and unless I just didn't use the right search terms, I couldn't find any. I'd love to do a retrofit but I don't want to have to remove the front bumper cover and bake headlight housings pull the reflectors etc etc. I've done it on several vehicles before and each time I swear I'll never do it again. I've been reading all the threads about the H9 bulbs instead of the H11 and I might try that for $20 (probably tomorrow) before going the HID route. I have a feeling I won't be satisfied because I'm just so used to HID's. Please spare me the "don't put the HID bulbs in the stock projector because you will blind people" lecture. That's why I'm looking for a picture of the output first.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User CouldBeAnything8's Avatar
    I don't have any pictures. But I know someone that did it to his 2013 wrx and it looks just fine. I've driven pass him, in front of him and had him pass me when I was walking down the street and have nothing bad to say. Even had two retro fit nazis Complement him then be just dumbfounded once they learn its stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    I put hid's in my stock projectors. I drive a 2012 Wrx. I'll try to get pics for you in the next couple of days. IMO the light output doesn't look bad at all.

2013 vs 2014 HID setup

heres a similar thread.

I Support ClubWRX
    Deff check out the the link posted above I posted some pictures of "HID in a halogen projector" (that's the search term you want to use). If you have already done retro fits in the past then just spend the time to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBird View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any pics of the light pattern of an HID in the stock projector housing on a 2011-2013 WRX? I've done a search and unless I just didn't use the right search terms, I couldn't find any. I'd love to do a retrofit but I don't want to have to remove the front bumper cover and bake headlight housings pull the reflectors etc etc. I've done it on several vehicles before and each time I swear I'll never do it again. I've been reading all the threads about the H9 bulbs instead of the H11 and I might try that for $20 (probably tomorrow) before going the HID route. I have a feeling I won't be satisfied because I'm just so used to HID's. Please spare me the "don't put the HID bulbs in the stock projector because you will blind people" lecture. That's why I'm looking for a picture of the output first.

Thanks
    Last edited by cflip2x; 11-30-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Cool. From that thread it looks like the light output will be good with the stock projectors. I have used the morimoto minis in the past. The only problem with them is that the cut off is "too good". I have to adjust them up to the point of blinding other drivers or I'm outdriving them at ~55mph. I like that the stock projectors throw a little light above the cutoff. It will help me to see Deer and Elk out past the high intensity part of the beam without blinding other drivers. I would like to use OEM ballasts and D2S bulbs instead of the universally re-based bulbs. They just aren't precision enough so I've had different bulbs create very different light "patterns" within the same projector (i.e. hot spot right below the cutoff instead of nice even light). Change the bulb and hotspot changes. I was using all TRS stuff too, not cheap ebay crap.
    I do my best proofreading right after hitting submit...