2013 vs 2014 HID setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 vs 2014 HID setup within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey there - I went ahead and installed the HIDs in my 2014 Wrx - did not modify the lens ...

2013 vs 2014 HID setup

Hey there - I went ahead and installed the HIDs in my 2014 Wrx - did not modify the lens or anythings. I just wanted to point out after going to the dealership tonight I parked my wrx with aftermarket HIDs next to an STI with HIDs and we both turned our lights on and there was literally no difference in how the light projected. No scattering, doesn't turn the entire headlight area blue, it illuminates in almost a perfect line in front of the car. I had my Girlfriend drive it tonight as well (Her first time, she loved it) I was in her car with the kids (Corolla) and while behind it was not obnoxious or anything. What are the chances they used the same housing\lens this time, or maybe I found a kit that works just right, I don't know. -forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but given the fact its an 2014 - I would imagine this has not been discussed too many times.

I will see if I can snag some pics of the light against my garage tomorrow night.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

would also like to know about this/see pics. i have a 14 and want to do hids but dont want to blind anyone.

Yeah, I will post some tomorrow, I can assure you...It really pisses me off when people blind me - I try to be considerate. I even had her drive down the street towards me just to check (Yes really) just fine. I do not know what to say about this. I will note - I did NOT like having to modify the housing caps to get the wires through. This hurt me on an emotional level to dig into my beautiful new car.

Poor example, but you get the point...Straight line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hids.jpg  

Okay, well rotate that image, cause I am a dumb A$$...

Its about 4ft from my wall, so it look really bright.

I Support ClubWRX
    Its not as bad as people putting them on regular head lights. After seeing what a clean cut off line looks like I wouldn't mind performing a complete swap. That I way I can also paint the headlights, remove the amber and maybe instal some halo's
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

So we can agree - This is not blinding to other people? Perhaps they did make a change, I think it is fine.

I Support ClubWRX
    I doubt that the factory would have changed the projectors but I dont know for sure.

I would say its less blindin but still not 100% correctl. I belive some people have also done what you have. Other members would say if your going to do it do it right. Again this is all up to you and its your car.

This looks horrible probably just hid bulbs in a standard reflector lenses.

Something similar to your set up

Thats the line I would be aiming for

2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Yeah it's not a reflector housing so it won't have a lot of glare or blind people but It will never be the same cut off as OEM HID projector housing it uses a different glass and bulb to achieve the cut off as the pic above.

Not sure if you already said but what kit did you get and where did you buy it?

My 2014 Limited WRX came with the HIDs and there is a little "roller" on the dash that you can roll them up and down. So i don't blind everybody kinda cool i think.

Up

Down
    Last edited by i.REX2014; 11-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.

That's mine with ddm tuning hid kit 35w 5k
    And it's no where near what OEM hid projectors can do. The cut offs from OEM hid projectors is way better. You can see in my pic the glare above the cut offs. It should be dark

I'm curious about this as well. One of the sales guy at Subaru said that he has a base WRX and he has HIDs in there and doesn't have an issue. He said something about the WRX's headlights projecting light rather than reflecting them like in regular headlights. I probably should've payed more attention, but this was during a test drive and I was enjoying the car too much.

Just got back from the Subaru Dealer down in SJ, and talked to the salesman about HIDs in the Premium/Base WRX models and he has a set of HIDs in his, and he also did mention that the 11+ had a different housing compared to the 08-10 models. Also that most WRXs sold in Canada have HIDs already installed in them. Anyone from Canada that can confirm this? I'd love to put HIDs in my 2014, but I don't want to blind people on the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast