2013 vs 2014 HID setup - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2013 vs 2014 HID setup within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by kite991 Just got back from the Subaru Dealer down in SJ, and talked to the salesman about ...

Quote Originally Posted by kite991 View Post
    Just got back from the Subaru Dealer down in SJ, and talked to the salesman about HIDs in the Premium/Base WRX models and he has a set of HIDs in his, and he also did mention that the 11+ had a different housing compared to the 08-10 models. Also that most WRXs sold in Canada have HIDs already installed in them. Anyone from Canada that can confirm this? I'd love to put HIDs in my 2014, but I don't want to blind people on the road.
    The Base/Premium WRX trim packages don't have HIDs as standard . Only the Limited trim and all STi trims have HIDs as standard equipment. Trim packages for WRX 2014: BASE- PREMIUM- LIMITED

2014 Subaru Impreza WRX/STI | Digital Dynamic Brochure

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know this is an old thread, but correct me if i'm wrong:
    From what i know about lighting the HIDS are just the bulbs and the ballasts. Also that all wrx's/sti's have the same projectors/housing which allow the hids. so as far as the cutoff points and such should be the same as the STI's? no?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCLOUIE View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but correct me if i'm wrong:
    From what i know about lighting the HIDS are just the bulbs and the ballasts. Also that all wrx's/sti's have the same projectors/housing which allow the hids. so as far as the cutoff points and such should be the same as the STI's? no?
    No.

The lenses are NOT the same, although the metal projector houses might be similar. Cutoff is NOT the only factor here. Most automotive projectors are designed to have a sharp cutoff point no matter where the light point source is located behind the lens. See this thread here for a more in-depth discussion of this: LED projector headlight experiment

The problem lies in the distributed light BELOW the cutoff. The halogen lenses are designed to evenly distribute the light from a halogen bulb, and the same is true for HID lenses.

You need to properly retrofit the ENTIRE projector assembly for HID bulbs, not just the ballasts and bulbs.

/thread.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12