universal fog lights?

This is a discussion on universal fog lights? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; New to this forum so sorry if posting in the wrong place (actually new to the forum thing in general ...

universal fog lights?

New to this forum so sorry if posting in the wrong place (actually new to the forum thing in general not just here), i am also about to buy bugeyed wrx (newbie in the subie world), and seen one i really like that is an 03 model but from what i see it doesnt come with the fog lights and ive searched for the fog lights but they are hella pricey, which is to be expected but does anyone know where i can find some cheap priced ones doesnt have to be oem, some universal ones possibly? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00G0G_gCkqgvHyUVM_600x450.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	119834

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    Don't bother with buying universal. The hassle it will cause is not worth it. Buy OEM and it will take you 3 minutes to plug the connector in and screw in 4 bolts on each side and then you're done. The brackets aren't a worry either and you likely can't use stock brackets for universal lights. 200$ isn't that bad for two new foglights anyways. Or you can buy used. I put covers on my bugeye and have 2 like new foglights sitting in my garage.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru-Mopar-Luv View Post
    Don't bother with buying universal. The hassle it will cause is not worth it. Buy OEM and it will take you 3 minutes to plug the connector in and screw in 4 bolts on each side and then you're done. The brackets aren't a worry either and you likely can't use stock brackets for universal lights. 200$ isn't that bad for two new foglights anyways. Or you can buy used. I put covers on my bugeye and have 2 like new foglights sitting in my garage.
    I beg to differ. Hella 500 fog lights are a significant upgrade in light output over the weak stock foglights. I replaced my stock fogs with them and never looked back. PIAA makes some good lights as well.

Hella 500s are around $70 on Amazon (there are driving light and fog light versions, make sure you get the fog lights). Kartboy adaptor brackets are $40, and allow you to mount aftermarket fog lights in the factory bolt holes. You'll need to trim the back of the fog light bumper surround a little bit to allow the Hella mounting bolt to clear, but that's an easy task, and it's not visible once the lights are installed.

Kartboy PIAA & HELLA Fog Light Mounts Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 1998-2001 / WRX 2002-2003 KB-010 at RallySportDirect.com

As far as wiring, the car probably has the pigtails for them dangling around in the fenders. Just clip them and use the stock wiring. The stock bulbs are 35W, so stick with those in the 500s and you'll be fine.

Since you're looking at fogs for a black bugeye sedan, here's what my black bugeye sedan looked like with the Hellas.

With the covers removed, they looked just like the stock lights. The fit is perfect.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I have Hella fog lights installed on my bugeye. Stock lights won't fit, and the Hella's are brighter. Easy to install with the right mounting bracket.

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    Heh, I always assumed they were OEM replacements! I was going off of what I had found when I looked at universal lights around my town at regular parts stores. Thanks for the correction!
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

thanks man i really appreciate it! sadly though i think ima end up getting a wrx 02 wagon in silver, i find it a bummer but cheaper since thats all i can afford for now, but i might just have to buy me some of them hella fog lights, oh and nice headlights man! love the hella horns too!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I beg to differ. Hella 500 fog lights are a significant upgrade in light output over the weak stock foglights. I replaced my stock fogs with them and never looked back. PIAA makes some good lights as well.

Hella 500s are around $70 on Amazon (there are driving light and fog light versions, make sure you get the fog lights). Kartboy adaptor brackets are $40, and allow you to mount aftermarket fog lights in the factory bolt holes. You'll need to trim the back of the fog light bumper surround a little bit to allow the Hella mounting bolt to clear, but that's an easy task, and it's not visible once the lights are installed.

Kartboy PIAA & HELLA Fog Light Mounts Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 1998-2001 / WRX 2002-2003 KB-010 at RallySportDirect.com

As far as wiring, the car probably has the pigtails for them dangling around in the fenders. Just clip them and use the stock wiring. The stock bulbs are 35W, so stick with those in the 500s and you'll be fine.

Since you're looking at fogs for a black bugeye sedan, here's what my black bugeye sedan looked like with the Hellas.

With the covers removed, they looked just like the stock lights. The fit is perfect.