roof rack
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on roof rack within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi guys, im new to the forum. i just bought a 2008 wrx wagon and it has the factory roof ...

roof rack

hi guys, im new to the forum. i just bought a 2008 wrx wagon and it has the factory roof rack on it. i havent really looked into it, but am not sure on how to remove it. i saw someone on another site say they had to remove the whole headliner inside and unbolt from the inside. i would like some clarity on this issue.
    also.. do any of you have roof racks on your cars? i actually like the look of the rack but would like to get a wind fairing for it, as well as a snowboard attachment. if you have any input on styles/brands let me know, as well as what would attach to the factor crossbars. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The roof rack is screwed down from the outside. There is a plastic cover in the side of the black plastic footing, a torx head screw under there goes into a rail in the roof surface. Once removed there is a plastic cover hanging there - it fits in the slit and covers the screw hole. If no one else steps up before later in the evening I'll get a few pics...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

thanks Ingo, that is what i assumed, until i read that other comment. and i have opened the plastic cover, but have never seen that type of screw. its no normal torx ive seen.

It should be a T30-size star bit. Not exactly the most common size, but my nearest Lowe's had had a 2-pack of T30 star bits for like $3, so you should be able to find one somewhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131003_0207462.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	117425
    this is what it looks like. definitely not a torx. sorry i could have posted a picture earlier.

Position 1 shows screw and tool. This is just a cover that needs to be removed to get to 2: wing-screw that holds the "footing" onto the roof rail. I pulled that screw out to show its length. The screw you show seems to be a retrofit, probably to keep from getting it stolen. Sorry, can't help with that shape, the original is torx, and 30 may be right. The rack comes with a torx tool, looks like a crew driver with that type of business end.

Sorry, the pics I'm trying to show won't upload. I have space but the upload just hangs. Maybe later. Try to make sense of what I wrote above anyways....
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.