Paint rapidly peeling from '03 hood scoop?

This is a discussion on Paint rapidly peeling from '03 hood scoop? within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey forum-- The paint started peeling suddenly from my '03 wagon's hood scoop (blue, if that matters). I can actually ...

Paint rapidly peeling from '03 hood scoop?

Hey forum--

The paint started peeling suddenly from my '03 wagon's hood scoop (blue, if that matters). I can actually see the paint bubbling in places as well, like it was a bad/dusty paint job, and I expect more peeling will follow. Areas are on the side of the scoop, not front, so I don't think it's from road debris.

Is this a common problem? And I guess as a follow-up question, any good sources for paint supplies?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vtattebury View Post
    Hey forum--

The paint started peeling suddenly from my '03 wagon's hood scoop (blue, if that matters). I can actually see the paint bubbling in places as well, like it was a bad/dusty paint job, and I expect more peeling will follow. Areas are on the side of the scoop, not front, so I don't think it's from road debris.

Is this a common problem? And I guess as a follow-up question, any good sources for paint supplies?
    It's a common problem usually caused by sun damage. As a professional painter I see it all the time on all sorts of makes. Had identical issues on the scoop/wing of my old car (05 sti). I just repainted it. Once the clearcoat starts delaminating there's no saving it other than stripping and repainting.